|Spouse||the late John Maddox|
|Children||Bronwen Maddox, Bruno Maddox|
Born in Brockton, Bridgewater, Massachusetts, she graduated from Harvard University (class of 1953) with a degree in English literature and also studied at the London School of Economics. She is a book reviewer for The Observer, The Times, New Statesman, The New York Times, and The Washington Post, and regularly contributes to BBC Radio 4 as a critic and commentator. Her biographies of Elizabeth Taylor, D. H. Lawrence, Nora Joyce, W. B. Yeats and Rosalind Franklin have been widely acclaimed. She has won the Los Angeles Times Biography Award, the Silver PEN Award, the French Prix du Meilleur Livre Etranger, and the Whitbread Biography Prize.
Maddox lives in London and spends time at her cottage near Brecon, Wales where she and her late husband, Sir John Maddox, were actively involved within the local community. She is vice-president of the Hay-on-Wye Festival of Literature, member of the Editorial Board of British Journalism Review, and a past chairman of the Broadcasting Press Guild. Maddox has two children and two stepchildren.
- Beyond Babel – New directions in communications London: The Trinity Press., 1972. ISBN 0-233-96004-X
- Who's Afraid of Elizabeth Taylor? A Myth of Our Time. New York: M. Evans & Co., 1977. ISBN 0-87131-243-3
- D.H. Lawrence: The Story of a Marriage. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994. ISBN 0-671-68712-3
- Yeats's Ghosts: The Secret Life of W.B. Yeats. New York: HarperCollins, 1999. ISBN 0-06-017494-3
- Nora: The Real Life of Molly Bloom. New York: Mariner Books, 2000. ISBN 0-618-05700-5
- Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA. New York: HarperCollins, 2002. ISBN 0-06-018407-8
- "Mother of DNA", New Humanist. 117 (2002): 3.
- "The woman who cracked the BBC's glass ceiling" British Journalism Review. 13: 2 (2003): 69–72.
- Maggie: The Personal Story of a Public Life. New York: Hodder & Stoughton. ISBN 0-340-82545-6
- "The whole world in his hand" The Times. May 27, 2006.
- NPR: Rosalind Franklin: Dark Lady of DNA – an audio interview
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States biographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|