Brenda Russell (album)
Original cover art (1979)
|Studio album by Brenda Russell|
|Released||February 23, 1979|
|Recorded||1978 Los Angeles: Kendun Recorders, Conway Recording Studios, United Western|
|Brenda Russell chronology|
Cover of the 2000 re-release
After working for several years with her then-husband Bryan Russell as session musicians and by themselves as the duo Brian & Brenda in the mid-1970s, the couple divorced and Brenda Russell embarked on a solo career by signing with A&M Records.
Written almost entirely by Russell herself, the album included the singles "So Good, So Right" (released as a double A-sided single in the UK with "In The Thick Of It") and "Way Back When". The track "Think It Over", written by Russell with her ex-husband Bryan, was previously recorded by Charlie's Angels star Cheryl Ladd and was a top 40 for her in 1978 (Ladd and Bryan Russell would later marry in 1981). The track "If Only For One Night" was covered by Luther Vandross in 1985.
In 1998, rapper Big Pun sampled "A Little Bit of Love" on his hit single "Still Not a Player". In 2003, Mexican singer Thalía sampled the song in "I Want You", and in 2013 Ariana Grande and Mac Miller sampled the same song for their hit single, "The Way". In 2001, singer Mary J. Blige sampled "God Bless You" in her song "Flying Away".
In 2000, the album was re-released on CD with new cover artwork and included Russell's most well known hit "Piano in the Dark" from 1988 as a bonus track.
- "So Good, So Right"
- "In The Thick Of It"
- "If Only For One Night"
- "Way Back When"
- "A Little Bit Of Love"
- "You're Free"
- "Think It Over"
- "God Bless You"
All tracks composed by Brenda Russell, except:
"You're Free" (lyrics:Brenda Russell, music: Andre Fischer, Brenda Russell)
"Think It Over" (lyrics:Brenda Russell, music: Brian Russell, Brenda Russell).
- as noted at allmusic:
- Brenda Russell: Acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos, main vocal
- Ron Stockert: Acoustic and Fender Rhodes electric piano, Clavinet
- Claire Fischer: Organ, Guitars
- Ian Underwood: Synthesizers
- David Wolfert, Fred Tackett, George Sopuch: Guitars
- Ed Brown: Bass
- Andre Fischer: Drums
- Victor Feldman: Percussion, Vibes
- Judd Miller: Trumpet
- Steve Madaio: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
- Tom Saviano: Soprano Saxophone
- Doug Richardson: Tenor Saxophone
- Chuck Findley: Trumpet, Piccolo and Flugelhorn
- Larry Williams: Alto Flute
- Bill Reichenbach: Bass and baritone Trombone
- Gary Herbig: English horn
- Assa Drori, Claire Fischer, Harry Bluestone, Gerald Vinci: Concertmasters
|1979||US Billboard 200||65|
|1979||US R&B Chart||26|
|1979||"So Good, So Right"||US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|1980||"So Good, So Right" /
"In The Thick Of It"
|UK Singles Chart||51|