|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Cruz
Brenda Shaughnessy (born in Okinawa, 1970) is an American poet.
Her poems have appeared in Best American Poetry, BOMB, Conjunctions, McSweeney’s, The New Yorker, The Paris Review, The Yale Review, and elsewhere. Our Andromeda (Copper Canyon Press, 2012) is her most recent book of poetry and was selected as a Library Journal "Book of the Year" and as one of the "100 Best Books of 2013" by the New York Times as well as being shortlisted for both the 2013 PEN/Open Book Award and the 2013 International Griffin Poetry Prize.
She is the poetry editor-at-large at Tin House magazine, and is Assistant Professor of English and MFA Program at Rutgers–Newark. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, with her husband, poet Craig Morgan Teicher, and their son and daughter. She currently teaches at New York University among others.
- Our Andromeda, shortlisted for the 2013 International Griffin Poetry Prize and the 2013 PEN/Open Book Award.
- Human Dark with Sugar, winner of the James Laughlin Award from the Academy of American Poets, finalist for National Book Critics Circle award
- Interior with Sudden Joy, which was nominated for the PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry, a Lambda Literary Award, and the Norma Farber First Book Award.
- Bunting Fellowship at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University
- Japan/U.S. Friendship Commission Artist Fellowship.
- "I'm Over the Moon". poets.org (The New School, Tishman Auditorium). October 19, 2007.
- "Why is the Color of Snow?". poets.org.
- "What's Uncanny; Fortune; Mistress Formika; Project for a Fainting". The Boston Review. December/January 1998/1999.
- "Me in Paradise". Nerve. July 2000.
- "Dear Gonglya; Your One Good Dress". Salon.
- "Epithalament", Fort.org
- Our Andromeda. Copper Canyon Press. 2012. ISBN 978-1-55659-410-6.
- Human Dark with Sugar. Copper Canyon Press. 2008. ISBN 978-1-55659-276-8.
- Interior with Sudden Joy. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 2000. ISBN 978-0-374-52698-6.
- David Lehman, ed. (2008). "Voluptuary". The Best American Erotic Poems. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4165-3746-5.
- Michael Dumanis, Mark Doty, Cate Marvin, ed. (2006). Legitimate dangers: American poets of the new century. Sarabande Books. ISBN 978-1-932511-29-1.
- Rita Dove, Robert Bly, David Lehman, ed. (2000). The Best American Poetry 2000. Scribner. ISBN 978-0-684-84281-3.
- Victoria M. Chang, ed. (2004). Asian American poetry: the next generation. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 978-0-252-07174-4.
- Brenda Shaughnessy, ed. (2008). Satellite Convulsions: Poems from Tin House. Tin House Books. ISBN 978-0-9794198-9-8.
- "100 Notable Books of 2013". The New York Times. November 27, 2013.
- McCormack, Win; Spillman, Rob; MacArthur, Holly; Montgomery, Lee; Wildgen, Michelle (2008-02-28). Tin House: Off the Grid;. ISBN 978-0-9794198-4-3.
- Viva Staff (January 26, 2009). "Roberto Bolaño finalist for National Book Critics Circle award". The New York Daily NEws.