Brendan Griffin (Kerry politician)
County Cork, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
Griffin is a former member of Kerry County Council representing the Dingle area from 2009 to 2011. He was the subject of controversy for hiring his wife Róisín as his secretarial assistant and his cousin Tommy Griffin as his parliamentary assistant. Both these positions were filled without interview and have salaries paid for by the state. In addition, Griffin helped another cousin, Matt Griffin, get his old council seat. He takes half of his TD salary, at first giving the other half directly back to the exchequer and then in 2012 donating the other half of his salary to pay for a third teacher in a small rural Kerry school.
- "Mr. Brendan Griffin". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Collins, Stephen (2011). Nealon's Guide to the 31st Dáil and 24th Seanad. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan. p. 122. ISBN 9780717150595.
- "Brendan Griffin". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Kelly, Fiach (31 March 2011). "TD who cut salary in half gives out plum jobs to family members". Irish Independent.
- O'Connell, Hugh. "Fine Gael TD gives half of his salary to local school to employ teacher". The Journal. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Kerry South