Breton Island (Louisiana)
Breton Island is an island (or group of islands) in the of the Gulf of Mexico near the mouth of the Mississippi River and part of Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. It is part of the Breton National Wildlife Refuge, which was established in 1904.
Number of islands
In the early 19th century, Breton Island comprised two islands. Prior to Hurricane Opal in 1995, it was a single island, and was divided in two by that storm. After Hurricane Georges in 1998 it was divided into three islands. Hurricane Ivan in 2004 caused additional damage to the island.
Erosion and restoration
Breton Island decreased from 820 acres (330 ha) in 1869 to 125 acres (51 ha) in 1996. Some restoration was done in 1999 funded pursuant to the Water Resources Development Act of 1992; the project was put on hold in 2000. It is possible that fines from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill may be used for rebuilding Breton Island.
- Sir Humphry Davy; U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (1896). The collected works of Sir Humphry Davy ...: Discourses delivered before the Royal society. Elements of agricultural chemistry, pt. I. Smith, Elder and Company. pp. 440–. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Richard Brookes (1827). Darby's Universal gazetteer, or A new geographical dictionary:: containing a description of the empires, kingdoms, states, provinces, cities, towns, forts, seas, harbours, rivers, lakes, mountains, capes, &c. in the known world : with the government, customs, and manners, of the inhabitants : the extent, boundaries, and natural productions of each country; and the trade, manufactures, and curiosities of the cities and towns : Illustrated by a neat coloured map of the United States. Bennett & Walton, 37, Market Street. pp. 101–. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "USGS National Wetlands Research Center: Prehurricane Survey of Barrier Islands Post Hurricane Ivan". National Wetlands Research Center. U.S. Department of the Interior. September 18, 2004. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Consistency Issues & Projects - Department of Natural Resources, State of Louisiana". Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Creef, Edward D.; Mathies, Linda G.; Hennington, Susan M. (2003). "Dredging '02". pp. 1–5. doi:10.1061/40680(2003)13. ISBN 978-0-7844-0680-9.
- "Louisiana lining up major restoration projects to build with BP oil spill fine money". New Orleans Times-Picaune. November 29, 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-11.