||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
Hayes with the Kansas City Royals
February 13, 1984 |
|May 22, 2009 for the Florida Marlins|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||31|
|Competitor for United States|
|World University Championship|
Brett Gregory Hayes (born February 13, 1984) is a professional baseball catcher, in the Cleveland Indians organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Florida/Miami Marlins and the Kansas City Royals.
Brett Hayes is the son of Tim Hayes, Jr., and the grandson of Tim Hayes, Sr., both professional baseball players. Tim Hayes, Jr. was drafted by the Kansas City Royals, but never appeared professionally. Tim Hayes, Sr. played professionally for the Cleveland Indians. In the fall of 2011, Brett married longtime girlfriend Elizabeth, in Minnesota.
Hayes attended Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks and was a three-year varsity starter.
Hayes attended college at the University of Nevada, Reno. He was the Western Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year, and a Freshman All-American in college. He missed one game in three years as the catcher for the Nevada Wolf Pack.
Hayes played 51 games in 2007, splitting time between Jupiter and Carolina. From 2008 to 2011, Hayes played for Jupiter, Carolina, New Orleans, and Albuquerque.
After splitting the 2010 season in the major and minor leagues, Hayes played in 64 games for the Marlins in 2011, batting .231 with 5 home runs and 16 runs batted in.
To open 2012, Hayes was the backup catcher behind John Buck. After playing in 39 games for the Marlins, he was sent down to Triple-A New Orleans. In those 39 games, Hayes batted .202 with 3 runs batted in, no home runs, and 6 runs scored.
Kansas City Royals
The Kansas City Royals claimed Hayes off waivers on November 2, 2012. He signed a one-year, $600,000 dollar contract with the Royals on November 20, 2012. His contract was selected from the Omaha Storm Chasers on August 4 when Salvador Pérez was placed on the 7-day disabled list. He was designated for assignment on August 11, 2013 when Perez returned. He was outrighted to Omaha on August 15. His contract was selected again when the major league rosters expanded on September 1. Hayes was designated for assignment by the Royals on July 28, 2014.
On December 15, 2014, he signed a minor league contract with the Cleveland Indians.
- Seidel, Jeff (5 September 2009). "Marlins in hunt, slug way to fourth straight". MLB.com. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "Royals claim RHP Moscoso, C Hayes off waivers". Associated Press via Yahoo Sports.com. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- Kaegel, Dick (20 November 2012). "Catcher Hayes signs one-year deal with Royals". MLB.com via KC Royals website. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Kaegelwork=MLB.com, Dick (August 4, 2013). "Hayes called up to fill Perez's roster spot". Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Links, Zach (August 11, 2013). "Royals Designate Brett Hayes For Assignment". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brett Hayes.|