|Born||1969 (age 45–46)|
|Origin||Boise, Idaho, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Farm Days, Butterfly Train, Built To Spill, The Suffocation Keep, The Electronic Anthology Project|
In high school, Nelson played in a band called Farm Days along with Doug Martsch and Andy Capps. Nelson's next band, Butterfly Train, released two albums on Up Records, in 1994 and 1996, before breaking up (Andy Capps was drummer for the latter album).
Nelson sings and plays guitar and keyboards for The Suffocation Keep, which released its debut album John Hughes Was Never So Wrong in 2002. The band completed a second album in 2004,A Few Minor Modifications of the Stars. The album was never released; however, the band did make it available for free download.
In November 2009, Nelson re-recorded seven Built To Spill songs "synthesizer/drum machine only" with bandmate Doug Martsch re-singing the songs and released it as an E.P. titled The Electronic Anthology Project in July 2010.
The new edition of The Electronic Anthology Project takes nine songs from Dinosaur Jr. with new vocals by J Mascis. It was released on Record Store Day, April 21, 2012, in a limited edition of 500 purple vinyl copies (with digital, cd and standard vinyl to follow).
Brett Nelson departed from Built to Spill along with then-drummer Scott Plouf in 2012, after 18 years with the band. The reasons behind the decision are said to be benevolent. Nelson was replaced by Jason Alberti and Scott Plouf by Steve Gere. Built to Spill promptly began touring again in early 2013.
- Hightower, Laura. "Built to Spill Biography". Musician Biographies. Net Industries. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "Up Records Artist Page: Butterfly Train". Up Records. 2004. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28.
- "Up Records Artist Page: Built To Spill". Up Records. 2004. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28.
- Sedgewick, Augustin K. (2002-05-21). "Suffocation Keep's Next Wave". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Atkins, Amy (2007-12-19). "Suffocation Keep with The Universal, Dec. 21, The Bouquet". Boise Weekly. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "The Electronic Anthology Project". last.fm. Sep 22, 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Roster - Electronic Anthology Project of Dinosaur Jr". Riot Act Media. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Brett Nelson on Myspace
- Butterfly Train on Myspace
- Butterfly Train on the Up Records website
- The Suffocation Keep (official home)
- The Suffocation Keep on Myspace
- The Electronic Anthology Project on Myspace