Bretton shown within Cambridgeshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
Bretton is a residential area and civil parish in the city of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. Bretton has been designed as a green environment; the major roads are tree-lined and there are several large parks and playing fields. It consists of two main areas; North Bretton and South Bretton, these are divided by Bretton Centre. Bretton Centre's main building is The Cresset multi-purpose venue, holding a large stage and seating, shops, a church, children's entertainment and places to eat. Bretton centre also has a supermarket and various small shops and restaurants.
Bretton is represented on Peterborough City Council by three councillors for the North Bretton ward and one for the South Bretton ward. Bretton is part of the constituency of Peterborough, represented at the House of Commons by Stewart Jackson.
Bretton has a number of primary schools; at secondary level, Bretton Woods Community School was closed in 2007 and replaced by The Voyager School in Walton. Walton Comprehensive School was also closed at this time.
Industry and commerce
The new city hospital has been built just outside Bretton, and eagle wood neurological centre has been built on the north side of Bretton centre. Bretton is also surrounded by several small industrial estates and car dealerships.
Bretton is home to The Cresset, a theatre which also contains other leisure facilities, a library, a church and shops.
Bretton also holds one of the biggest fireworks displays in peterborough, held at the peterborough rugby lions club every year in November.
Peterborough Ice Arena, home to the Peterborough Phantoms ice hockey team, is in Bretton. Bretton is also home to the Peterborough Lions rugby club based on the fields of Bretton Park. These fields are often used for other sporting events such as football.
- Bretton & District Bowls Club (Lawn Bowls). South Bretton Playing Fields. Access via Ringwood. Season: April - September
- Peterborough Crematorium Peterborough City Council (retrieved 11 December 2012)
- Peterborough City Council: Your Councillors by Ward. Retrieved 22 December 2009
- Find Your MP. Retrieved 22 December 2009
- Office for National Statistics: Bretton CP: Parish headcounts. Retrieved 22 December 2009
- The Cresset. Retrieved 20 December 2009
- Fireworks Extravaganza. Retrieved 30 september 2012
- Planet Ice: Peterborough Arena. Retrieved 20 December 2009