|Born||Olawale Mohammed Belo
10 July 1987
|Television||Big Brother 8 (UK)|
Olawale Mohammed "Brian" Belo (born 10 July 1987 in Nigeria) is a British-Nigerian entertainer from Basildon, Essex. He first came to the public's attention by winning the eighth series of the British version of Big Brother. Since the programme, he has become an internet columnist for Heat magazine, a TV segment entertainer for Harry Hill's TV Burp and Big Brother's Big Mouth.
Belo entered the Big Brother house on 15 June 2007, alongside Billi Bhatti, Jonathan Durden and Liam McGough. He was noted for his apparent ignorance in regards to William Shakespeare, claiming that he had never heard of the playwright. As Belo entered the final week of the competition, it was speculated that he would come in second place behind Sam and Amanda Marchant; Ladbrokes placed the Marchant twins as favourites at 2/7 and Belo at 5/2. However, Belo was announced as the winner of the series on 31 August 2007 with 60% of the vote to win. Belo is the youngest winner of the programme and is the only black winner so far.
Post Big Brother
Less than a month after leaving the programme, Belo made his stage debut as the Guardian Angel in The Vegemite Tales opposite Jonathon Dutton and Blair McDonough at The Venue off Leicester Square. Belo then made a cameo appearance in the 20 November 2007 episode of Hollyoaks; he expressed his enjoyment of the programme whilst in Big Brother. Belo later became a regular on the ITV1 comedy show Harry Hill's TV Burp, where he gives his thoughts on the week's television. Along with Harry, he sings, "Ebony. And Ivory. Side by side by the piano keyboard. Oh Lord, why don't we . . . ", and Harry sprayed him with a stinger. Belo returned to the Big Brother franchise when making a brief appearance in E4's Big Brother: Celebrity Hijack, in which Radio DJ Chris Moyles had sent him into the house to surprise the housemates. Belo performed segments of Shakespeare’s plays as part of Stratford-upon-Avon's Shakespeare Aloud initiative in March 2008 in order to bring the works to a wider audience. In July 2008, he released a single, entitled Essex Boy, which failed to chart. In October 2008, Belo appeared in TV horror series Dead Set, both as himself and as a zombie. From June 2009 onwards, Belo became a columnist for Heat Magazine's website, documenting the events of the tenth series of Big Brother and he also holds a regular slot on Big Brother's Big Mouth. In order to commemorate the tenth year of Big Brother, Belo temporarily returned to the house in July 2009 to participate in a task alongside Charlie Drummond, as he was struggling to find employment. In October 2010, Belo appeared on Gayle Tuesday: The Comeback, as Tuesday had made his likeness onto a potato on Can't Stand the Heat.
- Marcus Bentley, Tracey Barnard, Brian Belo, Chanelle Hayes, Ziggy Lichman, Amanda Marchant, Sam Marchant, Nicky Maxwell, Liam McGough, Gerry Stergiopoulos, Charley Uchea, Carole Vincent (11 July 2007). "Big Brother 2007: Day 42". Big Brother. Series 8. Channel 4.
- "Brian scoops Big Brother victory". BBC. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Shabnam gets boot from BB house". BBC. 16 June 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Hilton, Beth (18 March 2008). "BB winner to be Shakespearean actor". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Twins tipped for Big Brother joy". BBC. 26 August 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Paddock, Terri (26 September 2007). "1st Night Photos: BB’s Brian Belo Guards Vegemite". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "BB winner for Hollyoaks cameo". RTE. 8 November 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Big Brother's winners - Brian Belo". Tiscali. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Cooper, Lorna. "Where Are They Now? Brian Belo". MSN. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Allen, Liam (4 June 2009). "Big Brother through the years". BBC. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Fletcher, Alex (9 July 2008). "BB winner Belo plans single release". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Eyre, Hermione (2 November 2008). "Television: Little Dorrit, BBC1, In Love with Barbara, BBC4, Prescott: the Class System and Me, BBC2, Dead Set, E4". London: The Independent. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Belo, Brian (5 June 2009). "Introducing heatworld's brand new BB blogger... Brian Belo!". Heatworld.com. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Davina McCall, Mathew Horne, Pete Burns, Matt Edmondson, Brian Belo (4 June 2009). "Big Brother's Big Mouth: Day 1". Big Brother's Big Mouth. Series 5. E4.
- "Dancing for their dinner: Nikki Grahame joins the Big Brother house for a silent disco". Daily Mail. 17 July 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Big Brother winner Brian plans to romance twin Amanda - with a Big Mac and fries". Daily Mail. 2 September 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (20 January 2008). "BB winner Brian splits from Amanda". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Bevir, George (30 August 2007). "Brian calls on Noel to help woo Amanda". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
|Big Brother UK winner
Series 8 (2007)