Bixler batting for the Houston Astros in 2012
|San Diego Padres|
October 22, 1982 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 6, 2008 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2012 season)
|Runs batted in||14|
|Competitor for United States|
|Baseball World Cup|
|Gold||2007 Tianmu||National team|
Brian Joseph Bixler (born October 22, 1982) is a professional baseball player in the San Diego Padres organization. He primarily plays shortstop, although he has played seven different positions in his career. He has played in Major League Baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Washington Nationals and Houston Astros as well as for the United States national baseball team.
Bixler was Pittsburgh's second-round pick in the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft. He spent 2004 in the short-season New York - Penn League playing for the Williamsport Crosscutters. He spent his first full professional season with the Class-A Hickory Crawdads. In 2006, Bixler played for both the High-A Lynchburg Hillcats and the Double-A Altoona Curve. He was invited to spring training by the Pirates in 2007, batting .359 with a .970 OPS.  In 2007, Bixler played for the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians, and was named the team's most valuable player. On November 20, 2007, the Pirates purchased his contract, protecting Bixler from the Rule 5 Draft. Bixler did not make the Pirates' opening day roster in 2008, but received a call-up on April 6 when Jack Wilson was placed on the disabled list. That same day, Bixler made his major league debut against the Florida Marlins as a pinch hitter and struck out in his only at bat. He spent the majority of the season in Indianapolis, but made several short appearances for the Pirates. On September 2, he was recalled again when the rosters expanded. He got into 50 games for the Pirates in 2008, with a .423 OPS. In 2009, Bixler attended spring training, but was reassigned to the AAA Indianapolis Indians on March 30. He was recalled to Pittsburgh in late April after Jack Wilson was placed on the disabled list. In 8 games with Pittsburgh, he batted .200. He was optioned back to AAA when Wilson returned from injury. After the June call-ups of AAA outfielders Steven Pearce, Garrett Jones and Jeff Salazar to Pittsburgh, Bixler began to see playing time in center field due to the shortage of players on the roster. Bixler was again recalled to Pittsburgh in mid-August. He got into 18 games for the Pirates in 2009, with a .602 OPS. On January 18, 2010, Bixler was traded to the Cleveland Indians for Jesus Brito.
On January 18, 2010, the Indians acquired Bixler from the Pittsburgh Pirates for Jesus Brito. He was designated for assignment by the Indians on March 17, 2010 to make room on the 40-man roster for Anderson Hernández, and was subsequently sent outright to the minors. While in the Indians' organization, he played 64 games for the AAA Columbus Clippers. On July 11, 2010, he was traded back to Pittsburgh.
Return to the Pirates
On August 7, 2010 the Pirates sold Bixler to the Washington Nationals. He played in 27 games for the AAA Syracuse Chiefs. Bixler re-signed with the Nationals following the 2010 season and had his contract purchased on April 22, 2011. He got into 79 games with the Nationals in 2011, with a .532 OPS.
New York Mets
San Diego Padres
Bixler signed a minor league deal with the Padres.
- Langosch, Jenifer (2008-04-06). "Bucs place Wilson on the 15-day DL". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- Castrovince, Anthony (2010-01-18). "Tribe acquires Bixler from Pirates". MLB.com. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (July 12, 2010). "Pirates Re-Acquire Brian Bixler".
- Links, Zach (August 7, 2010). "Nationals Acquire Brian Bixler".
- Nationals re-signed SS Brian Bixler to a minor league contract, Rotoworld.
- Bixler called up by Nats, Rotoworld.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (November 3, 2011). "Astros Claim Brian Bixler".
- Axisa, Mike (October 6, 2012). "Minor Moves: 28 Players Elect Free Agency".
- "Mets sign Brian Bixler to Minor League deal with Spring Training invitation | mets.com: News". Newyork.mets.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- Schuler, Jeff (February 7, 2014). "Phillies sign veteran infielder Brian Bixler to minor league contract". The Morning Call. Retrieved February 23, 2014.