Brian Cantor CBE FREng  (born 11 January 1948) has been the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bradford since October 2013. Prior to this appointment he was Vice-Chancellor at the University of York from 2002 to 2013. According to the Yorkshire Post his salary at the University of York was £203,633.
He is acknowledged as a world authority on materials manufacturing and is a former Vice-President of the Royal Academy of Engineering. In taking up the position in Bradford, he replaced Mark Cleary.
He has worked at universities including Sussex, Oxford and York, and for companies including Alcan, Elsevier, General Electric and Rolls-Royce. He has advised organisations such as the UK Treasury, EPSRC, NASA, the EU and the Dutch, Spanish and German governments. He was a member of the Sainsbury review of UK science and innovation.
He has chaired and been on the board of many companies and agencies, including Isis Innovation, the Kobe Institute, the UK Universities Pensions Forum, the White Rose University Consortium, Yorkshire Innovation, Leeds and York Economic Partnerships, the Chambers of Commerce, the National Science Learning Centre, the Centre for Low Carbon Futures, Science City York and the Worldwide Universities Network. He founded the Begbroke Science Park at Oxford and led the £1bn Heslington East campus development at York.
Cantor's research has investigated the manufacture of materials and has contributed to fundamental scientific advances as well as improvements in many industrial products. He has supervised over 130 research students and postdocs, published over 300 papers and books, given over 100 invited talks in more than 15 countries, and is on the list of ISI List of Most Cited Researchers. He was awarded the Rosenhain and Platinum Medals of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining.
He is an Honorary Professor at Shenyang, Zhejiang and Nanjing Universities, an Honorary Member of the Indian Institute of Metals, a Member of Academia Europaea and the World Technology Network, and a Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, the Institute of Physics, the Chartered Management Institute and the Royal Academy of Engineering. He is a member of the Scientific Council at the IMDEA Materials Institute.
- "List of Fellows".
- "Announcement of the new vice-chancellor". University of Bradford.
- "Brian Cantor joins Bradford". Times Higher Education.
- "Power and Pay: The region's movers and shakers". The Yorkshire Post. 13 January 2011.
- "Brian Cantor". Debrett's People of Today.
- "About Brian Cantor". University of Bradford. 5 June 2014.
- "Professor Brian Cantor appointed as our new Vice-Chancellor". 24 April 2013.
- "EPF appoints a new Chair". 7 December 2010.
- "White Rose Consortium Executive Board". 8 September. Check date values in:
- "Leeds and York Economic Partnership". 31 January 2011.
- "The Chamber, Leeds, York and North Yorkshire". 8 September 2011.
- "Centre for Low Carbon Futures". 2 October 2009.
- "Board of Science City York". 8 September 2011.
- "Worldwide Universities Network". 8 September. Check date values in:
- "Heslington East Campus Expansion". 8 September 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
- "Brian Cantor - ISI Entry". 8 September 2011.
- "Brian Cantor - Platinum Medal IoM". 8 September 2011.
- "York strengthens academic links with China". 1 April 2008.
- "Indian Honour for York's Vice-Chancellor". 15 November 2010.
- "Academy of Europe entry". 8 September 2011.
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bradford
Sir Ron Cooke
|Vice-Chancellor, University of York