||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Born||29 April 1945|
|Doctoral students||Soojin Yi, Mark Jensen, Isabel Gordo, Doris Bachtrog|
|Other notable students||Gilean McVean, (postdoc), Peter Andolfatto (postdoc), Asher Cutter (postdoc)|
|Notable awards||Sewall Wright Award (2006)
Frink Medal (2006)
Darwin-Wallace Medal (2010)
Professor Brian Charlesworth FRS (born 29 April 1945) is a British evolutionary biologist at the University of Edinburgh, and editor of Biology Letters. Since 1997, he has been Royal Society Research Professor at the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IEB), University of Edinburgh.
Charlesworth gained a Bachelor of Arts degree in natural sciences from Queens' College Cambridge, followed by a PhD in genetics from Cambridge in 1969. Postdoctoral work at the University of Chicago, University of Liverpool 1971-1974, University of Sussex under John Maynard Smith 1974-82. He returned to Chicago, to be professor of ecology and evolution from 1985 to 1997. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1991, and won its Darwin Medal in 2000. He won the 2006 Frink Medal, of the Zoological Society of London and in 2010 was awarded the Darwin-Wallace Medal of the Linnean Society.
He is married to Deborah Charlesworth, who is also a biology professor and a Fellow of the Royal Society.
Charlesworth has worked extensively on understanding sequence evolution, using the fruit fly as a model species, and has also contributed theoretical work on aging, the evolution of recombination and the evolution of sex chromosomes.
- Evolution in Age-Structured Populations CUP ISBN 0-521-45967-2
- Evolution: A Very Short Introduction (with Deborah Charlesworth) OUP ISBN 0-19-280251-8
- Elements of Evolutionary Genetics (with Deborah Charlesworth) ISBN 978-0-9815194-2-5
- Charlesworth, B.; Harvey, P. (2005). "John Maynard Smith. 6 January 1920 - 19 April 2004: Elected F.R.S. 1977". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 51 (3): 253–265. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2005.0016. PMC 1448785.
- http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/research/institutes/evolution/homepage.php?id=bcharlesworth Brian Charlesworth homepage
- Loewe, L.; Hill, B. (2010). "Mutations and Brian Charlesworth". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 365 (1544): 1151–1151. doi:10.1098/rstb.2009.0319.
- "Evolution - the Molecular Landscape Interview with BRIAN CHARLESWORTH interviewed by Matt Ridley", Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, June 23, 2009
|This article about a geneticist or evolutionary biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|