Brian Collins (designer)
Brian Collins is an American designer, creative director, and educator. He was the Chief Creative Officer of the Brand Innovation Group, Ogilvy & Mather, in New York City for nine years (1998–2007), prior to starting his communication and branding firm, COLLINS:.
Ogilvy & Mather
His team's work at Ogilvy includes the design of a fantasy chocolate factory/retail store for Hershey in Times Square, the design of the new Motorola brand, the new Kodak identity program, design development for Coca-Cola and Sprite, the campaign and design program for New York City’s bid for the Olympic Games, NYC2012, and the creation of Helios House, the first LEED-certified gas station, which was built (in 2007) for BP in Los Angeles, with the firm Office dA and JohnstonMarkLee. They were awarded the Grand Clio in Design from the Clio Awards for this project.
In response to the events of 9/11, his team produced the exhibit and book Brotherhood, a tribute to New York City’s firefighters.
Collins’ team also produced a traveling international photo exhibit that explored what “beauty” meant to 60 female photographers. The intent of the exhibit and website, entitled Beyond Compare, was to broaden the definition of beauty to include women of all ages, shapes, and colors. As such it helped launch Dove’s “Campaign for Real Beauty.”
Collins produced The Ecology of Design, a handbook on environmental design thinking, published in 1996 by the AIGA. He also initiated the annual forum “Designism: Design for Social Change,” sponsored by the Art Directors Club of New York. Panelists discuss the direction of the design industry and explore whether design and advertising demand a “social context.”
The first work from COLLINS: was covered by the New York Times on April 6, 2008. The story reviewed their design of the campaign to stop global warming done for the Alliance for Climate Protection, the organization founded by former Vice President and Nobel Laureate Al Gore. The campaign was developed with the Martin Agency of Richmond, Virginia.
COLLINS: was retained by CNN to design The CNN Grill in Denver, Colorado and St.Paul, Minnesota. The combination restaurant/broadcast studios were timed to open during the Democratic and Republican National Conventions and were created as a proof point of the network's “CNN=POLITICS” mantra.
In July 2013, Collins was appointed to the Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide Creative Council, the board which oversees the agency's work globally.
Fast Company magazine named Collins as one of five American “Masters of Design” in 2005.
The National Organization for Women gave his team its Image Award in 2006 for work they did on Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty.
- "Collins, a new agency within the Interpublic Group".
- "Hershey store, Times Square".
- "Motorola brand redesign".
- "Kodak logo".
- "Sprite brand Redesign".
- "Design for NYC’s Olympic bid: NYC2012".
- "Helios House, BP gas station".
- "The Clio Awards Grand Clio in Design winner".
- "Brotherhood, book and exhibit".
- "Dove, Beyond Compare exhibit".
- "Dove Beyond Compare website".
- "The Ecology of Design, AIGA".
- "Designism, Art Club of NY podcast:".
- AIGA Design Archives - Microsoft Store Identity
- The Martin Agency: "A human face for Microsoft"
- GeekWire: "Admit it, Apple fans: Microsoft’s stores are pretty darn fun"
- "2006 World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland".
- "International Herald Tribune article".
- "2009 World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland".
- SVA Faculty
- Ogilvy & Mather adds three inductees to the Worldwide Creative Council
- AIGA Design Archives
- "The One Show Gold Pencil winner 2009" (PDF).
- "The Clio Awards Gold Clio winner 2009".
- "Art Center College Of Design Summer, Honorary Doctorate 2008".
- "Distinguished Alumni". MassArt. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- "Fast Company 2005 Masters of Design Award".
- "2006 National Organization for Women, Image Award".