Dozier with the Minnesota Twins
Minnesota Twins – No. 2
May 15, 1987 |
|May 7, 2012 for the Minnesota Twins|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||170|
High school career
Dozier played baseball for Itawamba Agricultural High School located in Fulton, Mississippi. There he became a local star, it being a town of 4,000. In baseball, he was selected All-State for two years and named "Player of the Year" in north Mississippi. He also received varsity letters in football, golf, and basketball.
Dozier played baseball for the University of Southern Mississippi, located in Hattiesburg, from 2006-2009. As a freshman, he was named a Freshman All-American and selected to the C-USA All-Freshman Team. In 224 career games at Southern Miss, he hit .355 with 55 doubles, seven triples, 16 home runs and 152 runs batted in. He was a member of the Southern Miss team that went to the College World Series in 2009.
Minnesota Twins (2012-present)
Dozier was drafted by the Twins in the eighth round of the 2009 MLB Draft out of the University of Southern Mississippi. While playing in the Minor Leagues, he was the chosen as the Twins Minor League Player of the Year in 2011. The Twins invited Dozier to spring training in 2012. Dozier was called up in May 2012 to replace Justin Morneau. On May 13, 2012, Dozier hit his first career Major League home run off Ricky Romero of the Toronto Blue Jays.
On August 20, 2014 Dozier became the first second basemen in Twins history and 13th in MLB history to record a "20/20 season" (20+ homeruns and 20+ stolen bases). Additionally, Dozier was the first Twins player since Torii Hunter did so in 2004.
Dozier is married to Renee Dozier.
Dozier is a Christian. Dozier has spoken about his faith saying, "I tell all the time, I'm a Christian just playing baseball on the side. That's what I stand for...". In November 2013, Dozier went with the mission group Amigos for Christ to Nicaragua for a week. While on the trip, Dozier helped dig a new clean water system for a small community and helped deliver a cow and a pig to the community for food.
- "Diamond's gem earns split with Jays". mlb.com. May 13, 2012. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Twinsights: Brian Dozier reflects on being passed over for All-Star Game". July 6, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Bernadino, Mike (July 8, 2014). "Twins' Brian Dozier invited to Home Run Derby".
- "Higher power: Faith comes first for Twins’ rising Dozier".
- "Faith first for Twins' rising Dozier".
- "Tom Powers: Twins' Brian Dozier enjoys labor of love".
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Brian Dozier on Twitter