Brian Evans (footballer)
|Full name||Brian Clifford Evans|
|Date of birth||2 December 1942|
|Place of birth||Brynmawr, Wales|
|Date of death||26 February 2003(aged 60)|
|Place of death||Swansea, Wales|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Brian Clifford Evans (2 December 1942 – 26 February 2003) was a Welsh footballer who played as a winger in the Football League for Swansea City and Hereford United. He made a total of 397 senior appearances for Swansea (excluding Welsh Cup appearances), and was capped 7 times for Wales.
After being spotted playing for Abergavenny Thursdays, Evans joined Swansea City in July 1963 for a fee of £650. Over the following decade Evans helped the side win the Welsh Cup in 1966 and promotion to Division Three during the 1969–70 season. In August 1973, he was sold to Hereford United for £7,000 as manager Harry Gregg was forced to sell several players before he was allowed to sign new players. After leaving Hereford in 1975, Evans moved into non-league football with spells at Bath City, Llanelli, Haverfordwest County and Pontardawe Town.
Evans played for the Wales under-23 side and was also part of an FAW XI tour of Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia in 1971. He made his debut for the senior side on 13 October 1971 in a 3–0 win over Finland. He went on to make a further six appearances over the following two years, winning his final cap on 26 September 1973 in a 3–0 defeat to Poland.
After retiring from playing he ran a painting and decoration business in Swansea. He died at the age of 60 after a short battle with cancer.
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Rothmans Football Yearbook 1973–74, p. 404.
- "English National Football Archive". English National Football Archive. Retrieved 25 October 2015. Check date values in:
- "Brian Evans". Post War English & Scottish Football League A - Z Player's Database. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Hayes, Dean P. (2004). Wales The Complete Who's Who of Footballers Since 1946. Sutton Publishing Limited. ISBN 0-7509-3700-9.
- "British FA XI tours". rsssf.com. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "Past players". Swansea City A.F.C. Retrieved 2010-06-18.