Brian Jones (California politician)
|Brian W. Jones|
|Member of the California State Assembly
from the 71st district
77th district (2010–2012)
December 6, 2010
|Preceded by||Joel Anderson|
|Santee City Councillor|
December 2, 2002 – December 6, 2010
|Succeeded by||Rob McNelis|
August 9, 1968 |
|Alma mater||San Diego State University|
Brian W. Jones (born August 9, 1968) is an American politician currently serving in the California State Assembly. He is a Republican representing the 71st district, encompassing most of inland San Diego County. On August 20, 2012 he was promoted to Chair of the California Assembly Republican Caucus. Prior to being elected to the state assembly, he was a member of the Santee City Council.
Jones originally moved to California in 1978, and attended Santee Elementary, Cajon Park Jr. High, and Santana High School. He graduated from San Diego State University with a B.S. in Business Administration in 1991. Prior to entering politics, he served as Commissioner of the Mobile Home Fair Practices Commission, President of the Kiwanis Key Club, and Secretary of San Diego 4 Wheelers, and a member of the Santee Parks and Recreation Committee.
Jones currently resides in Santee, CA with his wife, Heather, and their three children.
Santee City Council
Jones was elected to the Santee City Council in November 2002. While on the City Council, he served as a representative on the Mission Trails Regional Park Task Force, Heartland Fire Training Authority Commission, the Santee Elementary School District Conference Committee, the Santee Library Committee, the Goodan Ranch Policy Committee, and as an alternate representative on the Metropolitan Transit Services Board. In addition, he also served on the board of directors for the East County Boys & Girls Club.
California State Assembly
Jones was elected to the California State Assembly in 2010, as a representative of the 77th Assembly District, located in East San Diego County, California. He campaigned on a number of conservative issues, including private sector job creation, which he stated includes “getting government out of the way of the free enterprise market—lower taxes on individuals and corporations, and two, reducing the regulatory burden that the state government is placing on businesses that is chasing them out of the state.”
As a member of the Assembly, Jones has expressed strong support for the Second Amendment, opposition to illegal immigration, and a desire to see reforms aimed at curtailing the influence of public-sector labor unions. His signature piece of legislation, AB 860, would “prohibit direct political contributions by corporations and unions to political candidates” and “prohibit government employers to deduct from government worker paychecks money that is then used to engage in political activity.” He has also testified before the State Board of Equalization in opposition to the proposed State Responsibility Fire Fee, and has been a supporter of the Stop Special Interest Money initiative and an effort to repeal the California DREAM Act.
- Vice Chair, Business, Professions, & Consumer Protection
- Governmental Organization
- Utilities & Commerce
- Assembly Legislative Ethics
- Assembly Member Brian Jones of California
- Gardner, Michael. "Jones moves up GOP leadership ladder". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- Ken Stone & Steven Barthalow (2011-10-25). "Assemblyman Jones: On Campaign Finance, Cap-and-Trade, Other Issues". La Mesa Patch.
- League of Women Voters - Brian W. Jones
- Project Vote Smart - Brian W. Jones
- "New Sportsplex USA Opens in Santee". Scouting Santee. 2010-06-17.
- Michele Clock (2005-05-13). "Santee puts off decision on park". San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "Santee Vice Mayor Brian Jones is running for Assembly race". East County Magazine. 2010-04-15.
- "Assemblyman Brian Jones Proudly Defending The 2nd Amendment". YouTube. 2011-09-15.
- Assemblymember Brian Jones (2011-10-17). "Dream Act or Nightmare?".
- AB 860
- Press Release (2011-08-23). "Assemblyman Jones testifies in opposition to Fire "tax" before the Board of Equalization".
- Elizabeth Aguilera (2011-12-14). "Campaign to repeal financial aid for immigrants". San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Press Release (2011-10-06). "Governor signs streamlined CalWORKS bill by Assemblyman Brian Jones".
- "Committee Membership". California State Assembly.
- Michael Gardner (2011-12-14). "Fletcher at bottom of CRA scorecard". San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association. "2011 Legislative ScoreCard".
- Capitol Resource Family Impact. "2011 Legislative Scorecard".