Brian Moore (police officer)
|Director General of UK Border Force|
1 March 2012 – 1 October 2012
|Preceded by||Post Created|
|Succeeded by||Tony Smith|
|Chief Constable of Wiltshire Police|
1 January 2008 – 1 March 2012
|Preceded by||Martin Richards|
|Succeeded by||Patrick Geenty|
In July 2012, Moore announced that he would be standing down from the post in October 2012, choosing not to apply for the role permanently, to pursue "further options in his policing career". His leadership of the UK Border Force was controversial after reports of increased customer hospitality and uniform standards, while airport queues rose.
On 27 May 2012, British newspapers printed a story that while off duty, jogging, Moore had apprehended two teenagers committing criminal damage, and despite resisting and attacking Moore, he detained the two youths until police officers attended the incident. The teenagers were arrested for affray. Moore declined to comment.
In May 2012, Moore was accused of mishandling an internal sexual harassment case while serving as Chief Constable of Wiltshire Police. The coroner later cleared Wiltshire Police of any wrongdoing, however it noted that the force was 'ill-prepared' to deal with such an internal matter. And an independent inquiry found loopholes in vetting of its senior management team.
Brian Moore and his wife Judith have two children.
|Chief Constable of Wiltshire Police
2008 — 2012
|Director General of UK Border Force (Interim)
2012 — 2012
- Brian Moore to quit after Olympics as immigration chaos continues, telegraph.co.uk; accessed 10 August 2014
- "Border Force told to turn on the charm over the summer", telegraph.co.uk; accessed 10 August 2014.
- "Moore arrests and detains teenagers causing affray single-handedly and off-duty", dailymail.co.uk; accessed 10 August 2014.
- "Moore and Wiltshire Police cleared but found 'ill-prepared' to deal with internal sexual harassment case", bbc.co.uk; accessdate 10 August 2014.
- David Ainsworth inquest, dailymail.co.uk; accessed 10 August 2014.
- Safest county in England is Wiltshire, wiltshire.police.uk; accessed 10 August 2014.
- Brian Moore's police career, bbc.co.uk; accessed 10 August 2014.
- QPM to Brian Moore, 2009 New Years Honours List, guardian.co.uk, 30 December 2008; accessed 10 August 2014.