Brian O'Meara (hurler)
|Irish name||Briain Ó Meára|
27 March 1990 |
Kilruane, County Tipperary, Ireland
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|*Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 11:54, 1 November 2012.|
In 2011 he was a member of the divisional Thomas MacDonagh's team that reached the final of the county football championship. Moyle Rovers provided the opposition. Thomas MacDonagh's were the winners by 0-9 to 0-7.
O'Meara first came to prominence on the inter-county scene as a member of the Tipperary minor hurling team in 2008.
After enjoying little success in the minor grade, he later became a dual player in the under-21 grade in 2010. A 1-22 to 1-17 defeat of Clare in the provincial hurling decider gave O'Meara a Munster medal. Tipp later played Galway in the All-Ireland final and went on to trounce the westerners by 5-22 to 0-12. It was O'Meara's first All-Ireland medal in that grade.
That same year O'Meara was a key member of the Tipperary under-21 football team. He won a Munster medal that year as Tipp defeated Kerry by 1-7 to 1-6. It was Tipperary's very first Munster title in that grade.
By this stage O'Meara was also a member of the Tipperary senior hurling team. He made his debut at full-forward in a Munster quarter-final defeat by Cork in 2010. O'Meara was subsequently dropped from the team and played no part in Tipp's subsequent All-Ireland victory over Kilkenny.
After remaining on the periphery of the team for 2011, O'Meara was back on the starting fifteen the following year. He began the year by winning a Waterford Crystal Cup medal following a 1-21 to 2-12 defeat of Clare. A sbsequent 2-17 to 0-16 defeat of Waterford in the provincial decider gave him his first Munster medal on the field of play. Tipperary later faced a humiliating 4-24 to 1-15 defeat by eventual champions Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final.
- Thomas MacDonagh's
- Munster Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2012
- All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2010
- Waterford Crystal Cup (1): 2012
- Munster Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2010
- Munster Under-21 Football Championship (1): 2010
- "Senior Hurling Panel". Tipperary GAA website. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Austin turns tide as MacDonagh's make history". Irish Independent. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- O'Toole, Fintan (29 July 2010). "Tipp take another step forward". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Tipperary crown an outstanding week". Irish Times. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- O'Toole, Fintan (1 April 2010). "Title glory at last for terrific Tipp". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Tipp debuts for Cahill and O'Meara". Hogan Stand website. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "RTÉ Sport: Tipperary 4-17 Kilkenny 1-18". RTÉ Sport. 5 September 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Moynihan, Michael (5 March 2012). "Ryan pleased with Tipp’s timely tonic". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Clerkin, Malachy (16 July 2012). "Clinical Tipperary complete first task". Irish Times. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Moran, Seán (30 August 2012). "Kilkenny trample over Tipp tradition". Irish Times. Retrieved 30 October 2012.