|7 – Brian O'Nora|
February 7, 1963 |
|MLB debut||August 4, 1992|
|Career highlights and awards|
Brian Keith O'Nora (born February 7, 1963) is an umpire in Major League Baseball (MLB). He joined the major league staff in 2000, after previously umpiring for the American League (AL) from 1992 to 1999 and wears uniform number 7.
O'Nora previously worked the Appalachian League (1985), the Midwest League (1986–1987), the Eastern League (1988–1989), the Pacific Coast League (1990), the American Association (1991), the International League, the Florida Instructional League (1985–1989) and the Puerto Rican Winter League (1990–1992).
Since joining the Major League umpiring staff in 2000, O'Nora has worked the 2004 National League Division Series, the 2006 National League Division Series, the 2009 National League Division Series, the 2010 American League Division Series, and the 2012 National League Division Series. He also umpired the 2008 American League Championship Series and the 2012 World Series. He was a part of the crew that worked in the 2000 and 2010 Major League Baseball All-Star Games.
On June 24, 2008, during a game between the Colorado Rockies and the Kansas City Royals, O'Nora was accidentally struck in the head by a fragment from Miguel Olivo's broken bat. O'Nora sustained a mild concussion and a laceration on his forehead, and he was hospitalized until the next day.
In April 2013, O'Nora suffered an intestinal tear and had to leave a game between the New York Mets and the Philadelphia Phillies. On September 1, 2013, O'Nora departed during another game, this time involving the Rockies and the Cincinnati Reds, because he was experiencing illness.
In 2011, O'Nora was one of two MLB umpires (the other being Scott Barry) who were selected to officiate the MLB-All Stars Taiwan series; Barry and O'Nora were joined by two Taiwanese umpires for the games.
During Spring Training in 2014, O'Nora served as the replay umpire for the first use of expanded replay in a Major League Baseball game. After Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons elected to challenge a safe call made by first base umpire Fieldin Culbreth, O'Nora upheld the ruling following a video review that lasted 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- Kaegel, Dick (June 25, 2008). "Ump O'Nora hit in head by broken bat". MLB.com. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Kaegel, Dick (June 25, 2008). "Injured umpire released from hospital". MLB.com. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Ump recovering from intestinal tear". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 29, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Todd Helton reaches 2,500 hits; Michael Cuddyer 4-for-4 with HR". ESPN. Associated Press. September 1, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Tampa Bay Devil Rays vs Toronto Blue Jays September 25, 2003 Box Score". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Resilient Taiwan drop All-Stars series finale 6-4", Taipei Times, November 7, 2011
- Hagen, Paul (March 3, 2014). "Three plays upheld in expanded replay's debut". MLB.com. Retrieved March 5, 2014.