Brian R. Gaines
His previous positions include Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, Technical Director and Deputy Chairman of the Monotype Corporation, and Chairman of the Department of Electrical Engineering Science at the University of Essex. He was formerly Killam Memorial Research Professor, Dean of Graduate Studies, Associate Vice President (Research) and Director of the Knowledge Science Institute at the University of Calgary.
He is editor of the International Journal of Human-Computer Studies and Knowledge Acquisition, and of the Computers and People and Knowledge-Based Systems book series.
Gaines research interests now include modeling the socioeconomic infrastructure of information technology, human–computer interaction, cognitive psychology, and systems theory. More specific "the socio-economic dynamics of science and technology; the nature, acquisition and transfer of knowledge; software engineering for heterogeneous systems; and knowledge-based system applications in manufacturing, the professions, sciences and humanities".
Gaines is one of the pioneers in what is known as stochastic computing, a term he used first to characterize the highly attractive field when working at the Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd. (STL) in search of computational processors capable of learning during the 1960s. His
He has authored over 450 papers and authored or edited 11 books on a wide variety of aspects of computer and human systems. A selection:
- 1977. Fuzzy automata and decision processes. Edited with Madan M. Gupta and George N. Saridis.
- 1981. Fuzzy reasoning and its applications. Edited with E.H. Mamdani.
- 1984. Fuzzy sets and decision analysis. Edited by H.J. Zimmermann and L.A. Zadeh.
- 1984. Art of computer conversation : a new medium for communication. With Mildred L.G. Shaw.
- 1988. Knowledge acquisition for knowledge-based systems. Edited with J.H. Boose.
- 1988. Knowledge acquisition tools for expert systems. Edited with J.H. Boose.
- 1988. European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop : Proceedings of the European Knowledge Acquisition Workshop (EKAW'88) June 19-23, 1988. Edited with John Boose and Marc Linster.
- 1990. Machine learning and uncertain reasoning. Edited with J. H. Boose. London : Academic Press.
- Daniela E. Herlea Damian, Armin Eberlein, Mildred L.G. Shaw, and Brian R. Gaines (2000). "Using Different Communication Media in Requirements Negotiation". In: IEEE SOFTWARE. May/June 2000. p.28-36.
- Brian R. Gaines at knowmap.com. Retrieved 10 June 2008.
- B.R. Gaines: Stochastic computing system, in: J. Tou (ed.): Advances in Information Systems Science, Plenum Press, New York 1969
- List of publications from The DBLP Computer Science Bibliography at informatik.uni-trier.de. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Brian R. Gaines|
- Brian R. Gaines at knowmap.com.
- WebMap: Concept Mapping on the Web.
- Overview with multiple links to his work in the field of systems theory.