Brian Runge June 2011 at Dodger Stadium.
January 5, 1970 |
San Diego, California
Brian Edward Runge (born January 5, 1970) is an umpire in Major League Baseball who has worked in the National League since 1999 and throughout both major leagues since 2000; he wears uniform number 18.
Umpiring career 
Runge has worked in the 2004 and 2007 American League Division Series. His father, Paul (NL, 1973–97), and grandfather, Ed (American League, 1954–70), also were major league umpires, which makes the Runges the first three-generation umpiring family in major league history.
Runge went on a hiatus from umpiring from the middle of July 2009 until September 20, 2009, for an undisclosed reason. He returned to the field on September 21, 2009, in Milwaukee to work home plate in a game between the Brewers and the Chicago Cubs.
In a July 28, 2010, game between the Chicago White Sox and Seattle Mariners, Runge exited prior to the start of the third inning, after taking a foul tip off his mask during a Paul Konerko at-bat against Jason Vargas in the first inning. After over a month of not umpiring due to this injury, Runge returned to the field on September 2, 2010.
Runge is currently on an extended hiatus from umpiring, dating back to August 30, 2012. Although he did umpire 2013 MLB Spring Training games, he has not appeared in a regular season game. The cause of this extended absence is unknown.
In September 2007 Runge reportedly baited then Padres outfielder, Milton Bradley, telling him that umpire Mike Winters had told him that he "flipped his bat in [his] direction." Bradley confronted Winters, who reportedly shouted profanity at Bradley. In his frustration Bradley approached Winters, and needed to be restrained by his manager, Bud Black, tearing his ACL in the process.
Nine days later Runge was involved in an altercation while working home plate during a New York Mets/Seattle Mariners game at Shea Stadium on June 24. After Carlos Beltran of the Mets questioned a called strike, Runge walked in front of the plate to dust it off, saying some words to Beltran in the process. When Mets manager Jerry Manuel came out to argue, Runge appeared to bump Manuel in the chest, before ejecting both Manuel and Beltran. As a result of the incident, Manuel and Beltran were fined, while Runge was suspended for one game.
Notable games 
On June 28, 2007, Runge was at third base when Toronto Blue Jay Frank Thomas hit his 500th career home run off Minnesota Twins pitcher Carlos Silva. Later in the game, Thomas was ejected by plate umpire Mark Wegner for arguing balls and strikes, with Toronto manager John Gibbons also getting thrown out.
On Wednesday, September 3, 2008, Runge was the third-base umpire when Alex Rodriguez hit a home run which bounced off a catwalk behind the left field foul pole. It was the first play in major league history which involved the use of instant replay to confirm a home run call.
On July 10, 2009, Runge was behind the plate for San Francisco Giants pitcher, Jonathan Sánchez's no-hitter. Runge made a dramatic called third strike to end the game on a pitch that appeared to be a ball. His grandfather, Ed, also was home plate umpire in 1965 for Dave Morehead's no hitter.
Runge served as home plate umpire for White Sox pitcher, Philip Humber's perfect game on April 21, 2012, at Safeco Field, and the combined no-hitter of Seattle Mariners pitcher Kevin Millwood and five relievers on June 8, 2012, also at Safeco Field, becoming the 10th Major League umpire to call balls and strikes for multiple no-hitters in the same season. He was the third-base umpire for the perfect game thrown by San Francisco Giants pitcher, Matt Cain, on June 13, 2012, at AT&T Park.
See also 
- Injuries, rules make umpiring a sore subject - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN
- Game Wrapup | cubs.com: News
- Umpire exits Mariners-White Sox after foul tip | Mariners.com: News
- Boxscore: Cleveland vs. Seattle - September 2, 2010 | MLB.com: News
- "Baseball". Daily News (New York).
- MetsBlog.com » News: Beltran and Manuel Fined
- WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Umpire Suspended for 'Bumping' Mets Manager, Jerry Manuel
- Momentum of Thomas' 500th homer erased as Twins rally. ESPN.com. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- New York Yankees vs. Tampa Bay Rays - Box Score - September 03, 2008 - ESPN
- Game Wrapup | SFGiants.com: News
- "White Sox vs. Mariners Saturday, April 21, 2012:box score". MLB.com. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "Dodgers vs. Mariners Friday, June 8, 2012:box score". espn.com. 2012-06-08. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- "Combined No-Hitter". closecallsports.com. 2012-06-09. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Houston Astros vs. San Francisco Giants". espn.com. 2012-06-13. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- Gerry Davis named home plate ump ESPN.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012