Brian Smith (photographer)
Smith in Bora Bora, August 2003
|Born||July 16, 1959
Ames, Iowa, USA
|Training||University of Missouri|
|Awards||Pulitzer Prize; Pictures of the Year|
Brian Smith (born July 16, 1959) is an American portrait photographer and photojournalist. He may be known best for portraits of actors, business leaders, politicians, and athletes that are at once stylish and telling.
Born in Ames, Iowa, Smith got his start in photography in high school as a stringer for the Ames Tribune. He received his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri. As a 20-year-old student there, his first magazine photograph was published in LIFE showing the New York Yankees manager Billy Martin crying at the funeral of his player Thurman Munson.
Brian Smith's portraits of celebrities, athletes and business executives have appeared on the covers of magazines, including his photograph of Pope John Paul II, which was featured on the cover of the Newsweek Commemorative issue.
The book Art & Soul features Smith's portraits of celebrities Anne Hathaway, Kerry Washington, Patricia Arquette, Adrien Brody, Alyssa Milano, Adrian Grenier, Taraji P. Henson, Tony Bennett, Kelsey Grammer, Paula Abdul, Tim Daly, Taye Diggs and Samuel L. Jackson accompanied by personal testimonials from each artist expressing their support for the importance of the arts in their lives.
Smith is President of Editorial Photographers (EP), a photography trade organization of magazine photographers and photojournalists from around the world. He has lectured at photography trade shows including PhotoPlus Expo, WPPI and Imaging USA He has lectured students on the Business of Editorial Photography at Brooks Institute of Photography, Ohio University, Hallmark Institute and the Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale Art Institutes.
Awards and honors
Smith was a member of The Orange County Register photography staff that won the 1985 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography recognizing its coverage of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. In 1988 he and Carol Guzy were finalists for their photographs of Haiti in turmoil, published by The Miami Herald.
His photograph of Greg Louganis hitting his head on the diving board at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games won first prize in the Sports category of the 1988 World Press Photo and was featured in Photo District News as a memorable sports photograph.
Smith has been featured in the Photo District News Portraiture Issue, the Communication Arts Photography Annual, and Pop Photo. He has won awards from the Pictures of the Year competition multiple times.
- Art & Soul: Stars Unite to Celebrate and Support the Arts (New York: Filipacchi Pub, 2011), edited by Smith and Robin Bronk; ISBN 1936297469
- Secrets of Great Portrait Photography: Portraits of the Famous and Infamous (San Francisco: New Riders, 2013); ISBN 0321804147
He lives in Miami Beach, Florida, with his wife Fazia Ali, a fashion stylist. He is the son of Gerald W. Smith, author of the textbook Engineering Economy: Analysis of Capital Expenditures, Emeritus Professor at Iowa State University in Ames.
- Schonauer, David, "Preview: Photographer Brian Smith's Portrait Secrets", Pro Photo Daily, October 5, 2012.
- University of Missouri Journalism Alumni
- Newsweek, April 11, 2005.
- Art & Soul book launch.
- Editorial Photographers.
- PhotoPlus Expo. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- WPPI. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Imaging USA. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Brian Smith Speaks at Hallmark Institute of Photography.
- "One of Ten Voted Off", The X Factor, November 17, 2011.
- "Me -vs- Me: Sports Photography", Fine Living Network, October 8, 2006.
- "Spot News Photography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- World Press Photo 1988. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Photo District News 20th Anniversary Issue.
- "Art & soul: stars unite to celebrate and advocate for the arts". Library of Congress Catalog Record (LCC). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Secrets of great portrait photography : photographs of the famous and ...". LCC record. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Brian Smith pictures
- Brian Smith blog
- Editorial Photographers
- Meet the Author: Brian Smith on iTunes
- Video Interview: Secret of Great Portrait Photography with Brian Smith
- X-Rite/Sony Webinar: Brian Smith - Create the Look
- The Candid Frame Podcast: Brian Smith
- Model Mayhem Interview: Brian Smith
- B&H Insights: Brian Smith on How to Take Better Portraits
- The Business of Editorial Photography
- Brian Smith, 1959– at Library of Congress Authorities, with 0 catalog records (see References for 2 catalog records)