With the Islanders during the 2013 playoffs.
January 4, 1988 |
Waltham, MA, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
|New York Islanders
|NHL Draft||65th overall, 2006
Strait played two seasons at the Northfield Mount Hermon School, recording 12 points during his freshman season, and 20 the next year. Beginning in 2004 he joined the U.S. National Development Team in the North American Hockey League. He was the captain of the gold-medal U.S. team at the 2006 IIHF World U18 Championships.
After graduating from Ann Arbor Pioneer High School in 2006, Strait attended Boston University, where he began playing for the Boston Terriers men's ice hockey team. In his freshman season, Strait was twice selected as Hockey East rookie of the week. He served as captain of the U.S. team at the 2008 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, where the team finished fourth. That season he also was selected runner-up for the Hockey East Best Defensive Defenseman award. During his junior season at Boston, Strait served as an alternate captain. That season, the Terriers won the Beanpot, Hockey East and the NCAA Division I national championship.
After his junior season at Boston University, Strait signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins, who selected Strait in 2006. He began his professional career a few months later with the Penguins' American Hockey League affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
Strait made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh on February 21, 2011 against the Washington Capitals.
On the eve of the lockout shortened 2012–13 season, he was picked off of waivers from the Penguins by the New York Islanders January 18, 2013. After establishing his role within the Islanders defense after 6 games he signed a three-year one-way extension deal worth $775,000 per year on January 31, 2013.
Regular Season and Playoffs
|2004–05||U.S. National Development Team||USDP||60||5||13||18||50||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||U.S. National Development Team||USDP||65||2||12||14||72||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||New York Islanders||NHL||19||0||4||4||10||6||1||0||1||12|
|Competitor for United States|
|IIHF U18 Championships|
|Junior int'l totals||12||0||0||0||10|
- "Player Bio: Brian Strait". Boston University. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Pot of gold: Waltham's Strait helps lead BU to 29th title". The Daily News Tribune. February 10, 2009. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "BU captain Brian Strait exits, signs with Pittsburgh Penguins". Boston Herald. June 17, 2009. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Penguins Sign Defenseman Brian Strait". Pittsburgh Penguins. July 1, 2009. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- Anderson, Shelly (July 23, 2009). "Penguins' Strait ready for next level". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Islanders claim Strait off waivers". New York Islanders. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Islanders, Strait agree on three-year deal". The Sports Network. 2013-01-31. Retrieved 2013-01-31.