Tichy in concert in 2006 Photo: Charles Jischke
August 18, 1968 |
Denville, New Jersey United States
|Genres||Hard rock, heavy metal, New Wave|
|Occupations||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, guitar, bass, vocals|
|Associated acts||Whitesnake, Billy Idol, Ozzy Osbourne, Seether, Velvet Revolver, Foreigner, Pride & Glory, Glenn Hughes, Sass Jordan, Slash's Snakepit, Lynch Mob|
Brian Tichy (born on August 18, 1968 in Denville, New Jersey) is an American musician, best known as having been drummer for Whitesnake, Billy Idol, Foreigner, and Ozzy Osbourne. He was the drummer of Whitesnake from 2010 to 2013. Tichy began playing drums at age eight and started playing guitar at age 12. His earliest influences include Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden with Nicko McBrain as an inspiration drummer, Kiss, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Van Halen. His surname meaning silent in Czech and Slovak.
After attending Berklee College of Music from 1986 until 1990, Tichy has toured/recorded with a multitude of artists including Billy Idol, Ozzy Osbourne, Seether, Velvet Revolver, Foreigner, Pride & Glory, Glenn Hughes, Sass Jordan, Slash's Snakepit and most recently Whitesnake
While Brian has primarily toured and recorded with others playing drums, he has fronted his own band (BALL) in which he sings and plays guitar. Due to the untimely demise of his record label (Time Bomb Recordings), Ball’s American Aggression CD never was formally released. Ball did manage to release a CD, The Grand Human Disaster Scenario (only in Japan) in May, 1999. This CD contains what were essentially the demos that led to the record deal with Time Bomb at the end of 1999. His increasing role as co-songwriter with Billy Idol that started at the end of 2003 limited his time to focus on Ball.
Billy Idol 
The Idol/Tichy writing partnership sparked the recording of Billy Idol's first CD since 1993. Devil's Playground (Sanctuary Records) was recorded in 2004 and contained 8 Idol/Tichy tracks. The CD was released in March 2005 and they toured for the remainder of the year.
While writing in 2006 for a follow up Idol CD, Brian and Billy recorded a Christmas album. This was done on their own, in Idol and Tichy's rehearsal studio with Tichy performing drums, guitar, and bass, as well as engineering and co-producing. Happy Holidays by Billy Idol was released in November, 2006 through Best Buy and in Europe.
Brian joined Foreigner in 1998 and remained until 2000. He rejoined briefly in 2007 substituting for Jason Bonham. He then returned from 2008 until 2010, recording the album Can't Slow Down. He returned for one show in summer 2011, substituting for Mark Schulman, who had recently lost his father. Tichy rejoined Foreigner for the month of August 2012 for live performances, replacing the departed Mark Schulman once again.
Recent projects 
Brian toured with Foreigner through spring 2009 and recently completed a multi-year involvement with Billy Idol. Brian was also involved with drum sessions, writing with Derek Sherinian, writing music for television and film via MasterSource Music Catalog, as well as filling in on drums for Seether in April 2007 while Seether drummer John Humphrey was unavailable. He has also recently filled in for Foreigner drummer Jason Bonham who has been with them for a couple years. Tichy has also just finished recording drums for European female metal singer Marya Roxx with producer Kevin Shirley (Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Journey, Dream Theater, Black Crowes) which included Derek Sherinian (Billy Idol, Yngwie Malmsteen), Paul Crook (Meat Loaf, Anthrax) and Scott Metaxes (Nuclear Assault). On September 25, 2010 Brian organized, produced and played in the drummer tribute "Bonzo, The Groove Remains the Same", celebrating the 25th anniversary of the death of John Henry Bonham, legendary drummer for Led Zeppelin. Over 25 of the best Rock and Roll drummers performing today came together and played their favorite Zeppelin tunes, including Jason Bonham. Brian surprised them all by having an exact replica of the John Bonham drum kit for all to play, complete with a giant gong and tympani. Brians own group, "The Moby Dicks" made up the house band during the tribute, as each drummer took their turn on the legendary drum kit. Video's of the event can be found on YouTube. In 2011, Tichy formed S.U.N. (Something Unto Nothing) as guitarist, with vocalist Sass Jordan, bassist Michael Devin, and drummer Tommy Stewart. Marty O'Brien replaced bassist Devin in 2012.
Speed bag 
Brian became a speed bag enthusiast while on tour with Foreigner and quickly got with some of the best speed baggers around to learn and increase his own skills. During the 2009-2010 tour with Foreigner, Brain hung several speed bag wall units inside the bands equipment truck and created the infamous "Speed Bag Truck", hosting area speed bag enthusiasts from various areas when the band played in their town. Some of the best speed bag talent in the U.S. joined Brian in the truck before concerts, punching away. Soon after, he began promoting his own punching skills via his YouTube videos for both physical fitness, and also as a musical instrument. He always planned to incorporate the speed bag into his drumkit, which was first unvieled during his appearance on "That Metal Show" on VH-1 classic, in April 2012, using a UBS1 freestanding floor frame from Balazboxing. This is the first known inclusion of a speed bag by a professional drummer as a rhythm instrument in a major public appearance, and should be noted as an important date in speed bag history.
- Natal drums, pedals and hardware
- Paiste cymbals
- Remo drum heads
- Vater sticks
- LP Percussiion
- Gibson Les Paul and SGs guitars
- Dean ML guitars
- Marshall JCM 800s and Peavey 5150 amplification
- Dunlop pics, wah's and effects
With Billy Idol
- 2005: Devil's Playground
- 2006: Live Billy Idol DVD - TBD
- 2006: Happy Holidays Billy Idol Co-produced, recorded, engineered and mixed by Tichy and Idol. All
instruments performed by Tichy except keys by Derek Sherinian
- 2008: The Very Best of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself
- Touring drummer since 2001; US, Europe, Canada
With Derek Sherinian
With Kenny Wayne Shepherd
- 2004: The Place You're In
- 1999: Grand Human Disaster Scenario (Japan only)
- 2000: American Aggression (Only available through BrianTichy.com)
- 2001: A Study in Persistence (Only available through BrianTichy.com)
- 2003: Bleed Defeat (Only available through BrianTichy.com)
With Gilby Clarke
With Vinnie Moore
With Ana Sidel
- 2005: "A Solas..."
- (8 tracks) recorded
- 1996: 12 Hits & A Bump
- 1997: Mas Feedback
- Japan and US touring
With Stevie Salas
- 1993: Presents: The Electric Pow Wow
- 1994: Back From The Living
- 1996: Anthology 1987-1994
- 1997: Le Bootleg (Live In Paris)
- 1997: Seoul Power
- 1998: The Sometimes Almost Never Was
- 2001: Shapeshifter (The Fall And Rise Of Stevie No Wonder)
- Various years of touring Japan and Europe
With Pride & Glory
- 1994: Pride & Glory
- Toured US, Europe, Japan
- 2004: TMG I
With Sass Jordan
- 1994: Rats and Summer Tour
- 2007: Shaw/Blades: "Influences" (8 tracks) recorded in 2004
With Jack Blades
- 2010/TBD: 1/2 of drums on forthcoming solo album
For MasterSource Music Catalog:
- Since 2000: Chief rock songwriter. MasterSource gets music placed in TV and movies. Tichy's include;
Law And Order, CSI, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Supergroup, The Osbournes, Punk'd, Pimp My Ride, and countless others.
- 1991: China Rain – Bed of Nails
- 1992: RawHead - Flounder
- 1994: Guitar's Practicing Musicians, Vol. 3 (Pride & Glory - "The Wizard")
- 1997: Return of the Comet – Tribute to Ace Frehley; "Rip It Out", all instruments and vox...
- 1998: Taisuke - Heavy Pop
- 1999: Shameless - Backstreet Anthems - Produced by Gilby Clarke feat. Alexx Michael, Steve Summers, Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick
- 2000: Shameless - Queen 4 A Day - Produced by Keri Kelli & Gilby Clarke feat. Alexx Michael, Steve Summers, Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick
- 2001: Sweet Emotion – The Songs of Aerosmith Tribute
- 2004: Richie Kotzen – Shapes of Things to Come (Bonus Track)
- 2005: Iron Maiden Tribute: "Numbers From The Beast"; Run To The Hills with Michael Schenker and Tony Franklin
- 2006: The Beatles Tribute: "Butchering The Beatles"; "Tomorrow Never Knows" with Billy idol, Steve Stevens and Blasko
- 2006: Marco Mendoza: Live For Tomorrow (3 tracks)
- 2007: Maarja: Produced by Kevin Shirley (Zeppelin, Maiden) featuring Derek Sherinian, Paul Crook and Scott Metaxes
- 2009: Ace Frehley: Anomaly - "Fox on the Run"
- September 25, 2010: Produced "Bonzo, The Groove Remains the Same", 1st ever tribute to John Bonham, drummer of Led Zeppelin.
- 2011: Steven Tyler - "(It) Feels So Good"
Other artists Tichy has toured with:
- 1995: Slash's Snakepit (1995 World Tour)
- 1998-2000: Foreigner
- 2000: Ozzy Osbourne (Ozzfest 2000)
- 2001: Glenn Hughes
- 2005: Velvet Revolver (3 weeks fill in for Matt Sorum due to hand injury)
- 2006-2007: Foreigner (fill-in dates for current Foreigner drummer Jason Bonham)
- 2007: Seether (one month fill in for festivals)
- 2010: The Guess Who (fill in)
- "WHITESNAKE Parts Ways With DUFFY, FRAZIER; New Drummer Announced". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Drummer BRIAN TICHY Quits WHITESNAKE". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Tichy, Brian, BAGIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- "Speed baggin'", Modern Drummer, September
- The official Brian Tichy website
- Brian Tichy interview for the Russian website about Whitesnake
- 2012 Audio Interview with Brian Tichy from the Podcast "I'd Hit That"