Brian Walsh (Irish politician)
|Galway City Councillor|
28 September 1972 |
|Political party||Fine Gael,
Independent (Jul. 2013–Apr. 2014)
|Alma mater||Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology|
Brian Walsh (born 28 September 1972) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who elected as a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Galway West constituency at the 2011 general election. He sat as an independent TD, having lost the Fine Gael parliamentary party whip, from July 2013 to April 2014.
Eyre Square in Galway began redevelopment work in 2004. There was controversy when the building contractors, Samuel Kingston Construction, had left the site and did not return. Some businesses were affected by the abandoned building site which had become an embarrassment to the city. On becoming Mayor of Galway, Walsh set up a task force to take charge of the project. He led the effort to complete the works. The square re-opened on 13 April 2006.
2011 general election
In December 2010, Walsh was selected by Fine Gael to contest the 2011 general election for Galway West. The outgoing Fine Gael representative Pádraic McCormack subsequently announced his retirement after not being selected at the party convention. Senator Fidelma Healy Eames was also selected by the party to contest the election. Councillors Seán Kyne and Hildegarde Naughton were subsequently added to the ticket as the party adopted an offensive electoral strategy in the constituency.
Expulsion from parliamentary party
He was re-admitted to the parliamentary party on 30 April 2014.
- "Mr. Brian Walsh". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Abortion law moves one step closer". Irish Independent. 2 July 2013.
- "Brian Walsh". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Mayors of Galway City". Galway City Council. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Eyre Square Enhancement Project". Galway City Council. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "More difficulty for Eyre Square redevelopment". RTÉ News. 27 June 2005.
- "Fine Gael expels four TDs for voting against abortion Bill". The Irish Times. 3 July 2013.
- "Walsh readmitted to Fine Gael after losing whip". RTÉ News. 30 April 2014.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Galway West
|Mayor of Galway
Niall Ó Brolcháin