Brian Walsh (Irish politician)
|Galway City Councillor|
28 September 1972 |
|Political party||Independent (since July 2013),
|Alma mater||Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology|
Brian Walsh (born 28 September 1972) is an Irish politician who elected as a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Galway West constituency at the 2011 general election. He sits as an independent TD, having lost the Fine Gael parliamentary party whip in July 2013.
Eyre Square redevelopment
The plot of land in the centre of Galway City known today as Eyre Square was officially presented to the city in 1710 by Mayor Edward Eyre, from whom it took its name. The square had been neglected for many years and badly needed to be renovated. Redevelopment work on the square began in 2004. There was controversy when it was reported that the building contractors, Samuel Kingston Construction, had left the site and were not returning. City centre businesses were badly affected by the abandoned building site which had become an embarrassment to the city.
On becoming Mayor of Galway City, Walsh set up a task force to take charge of the project. He led the effort and the works were completed. The square re-opened on 13 April 2006. Subsequently, the finished square received an Irish Landscape Institute Design Award in 2007.
2011 general election
In December 2010, Walsh was selected by Fine Gael to contest the 2011 general election for Galway West. The outgoing Fine Gael representative Pádraic McCormack subsequently announced his retirement after not being selected at the party convention. Senator Fidelma Healy Eames was also selected by the party to contest the election. Councillors Seán Kyne and Hildegarde Naughton were subsequently added to the ticket as the party adopted an offensive electoral strategy in the constituency.
Expulsion from parliamentary party
- "Mr. Brian Walsh". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Abortion law moves one step closer". Irish Independent. 2 July 2013.
- "Brian Walsh". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Mayors of Galway City". Galway City Council. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Eyre Square Enhancement Project". Galway City Council. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "More difficulty for Eyre Square redevelopment". RTÉ News. 27 June 2005.
- "Fine Gael expels four TDs for voting against abortion Bill". The Irish Times. 3 July 2013.
|Teachta Dála for Galway West
|Mayor of Galway
Niall Ó Brolcháin