Brian Willison (born May 6, 1977) is the former Executive Director of the Parsons Institute for Information Mapping (PIIM) at The New School and currently oversees an IM program portfolio for The Global Fund (Geneva, Switzerland).
Brian Willison was born in Moorestown, New Jersey. He attended the Moorestown Friends School (Moorestown, New Jersey) in its Lower and Middle school programs. After transferring, Willison graduated from The Lawrenceville School (Lawrenceville, New Jersey) in 1995. He attended Washington University (St. Louis, Missouri) where he graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in 1999. Willison received his Master's Degree from the Parsons School of Design in 2005.
Willison has worked in the fields of new media, publishing, marketing, and software development for companies located in St. Louis, Missouri, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, San Francisco, California, and New York, New York. During the economic retraction following the Dot-com era, Willison launched a successful technology consulting practice which developed technologies for Charles Schwab, Microsoft, Ebay.com, and AT&T.
As of November 2011[update], Willison is the Executive Director of the Parsons Institute for Information Mapping (PIIM) at The New School where he oversees PIIM's engagements in commercial and academic pursuits in the fields of knowledge visualization, information design, software development, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.
At the Parsons Institute for Information Mapping (PIIM), Willison has led technology programs for United States Government initiatives:
- Geospace and Media Tool (GMT) for the United States Congress
- Modular Integrated Knowledge System (MIKS) for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Media File Generator (MFG) for the Department of Defense
- Human Organizational Network Generator (HONG) for the Department of Defense
- Georeferenced Information Visualization (GIV) for the Department of Defense
- Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA) Graphic User Interface redesign for the Department of Defense, Military Health System, and United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- Visual Dashboard and Heads-Up Display of Patient Conditions for the Department of Defense, Military Health System, and United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
At The Global Fund, Willison oversees technology and implementation programs for the organization's financial disbursement review cycles with mechanisms attached to the various country programs in the fields of Aids, Malaria, and Tuberculosis.
Keynotes, speeches, and conference presentations
- United States Department of Defense and United States Department of Veterans Affairs Joint Electronic Health Record Way Forward Presentation Layer Working Group (Lead Facilitator, January, 2011)
- GIS 3.0: Geospatial Intelligence, Social Data, and the Future of Public Health Preparedness and Response (November 16, 2009: hosted by Columbia University)
- Web4Dev Conference (February 12, 2009: hosted by UNICEF and the United Nations)
- Long-term Care and Analysis (2007: hosted by The National Commission on Quality Long Term Care)
- The Rapid Clustering, Ranking, Geo-locating, Entity Networking, and Statistical Portrayal Support of Massive Media Feeds (Co-presenter with William Bevington, September, 2006: Hosted by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency)
- SenseMaker Dialogs (2009: hosted by Humantific, http://vimeo.com/28668850)
- Iterative Milestone Engineering Model
- Visualization Driven Rapid Prototyping
- Advancing Meaningful Use: Simplifying Complex Clinical Metrics Through Visual Representation