Brian de la Puente
de la Puente in the 2012 NFL season.
No. 60 New Orleans Saints
|Date of birth:May 13, 1985|
|Place of birth: Los Angeles, California|
|High school: San Clemente (CA)|
|Undrafted in 2008|
|Debuted in 2011 for the New Orleans Saints|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012
Brian Loomis de la Puente (born May 13, 1985) is an American football center for the New Orleans Saints. He was signed by the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2008. De la Puente has also been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs, Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks.
De la Puente is Jewish on his mother's side, and was born in Los Angeles, California. He attended San Clemente High School. He played college football at California. His maternal grandmother was also Jewish.
First stint with 49ers
Kansas City Chiefs
De la Puente was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs on August 31, 2008. He was inactive for the team's first seven games before being released on October 29. The Chiefs re-signed him to the practice squad the following day.
De la Puente was re-signed to a future contract by the Chiefs on December 30, 2008. He was waived on August 24, 2009 when the team acquired offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe from the Miami Dolphins.
De la Puente was claimed off waivers by the Seattle Seahawks on August 25, 2009 after the team waived guard Grey Ruegamer. He was cut on September 5, and added to the practice squad on September 16. He was cut from the practice squad on September 22 and re-added on September 30.
De la Puente was signed to the Carolina Panthers' practice squad on November 17.
Second stint with 49ers
De la Puente signed a future contract with the San Francisco 49ers on January 22, 2010. He was waived on September 4.
Second stint with Seahawks
De la Puente was signed to the Seattle Seahawks' practice squad on September 16, 2010. He was released on September 21.
New Orleans Saints
De la Puente was signed to the Saints practice squad on October 15, 2010 and spent the rest of the season there. In 2011, Saints starting center Jonathan Goodwin left to join the San Francisco 49ers, and the Saints signed longtime Chicago Bears star Olin Kreutz to replace him. De la Puente filled in effectively when Kreutz was injured early in the season, then found himself as the starter when Kreutz unexpectedly decided to retire in mid-season. De la Puente continued to play well as the Saints set offensive records for the season and the offensive line won its second Madden Most Valuable Protectors Award in three years. De la Puente continued to hold the starting center position through the 2012 season. In its 2012 season-end review, Pro Football Focus, calling de la Puente "the least well known player on the line", rated him as the team's highest-performing lineman in 2012.
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/39461
- "2011 NFL Football Preview". Jewish Sports Review 8 (87): 6–7. September/October 2011, accessed September 15, 2011.
- Seth Berkman (September 5, 2012). "Are Ya Ready for Some (Jewish) Football?". The Forward. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Fine, Jeremy (January 3, 2013). "Wrapping Up the Jewish NFL Season". The Great Rabbino. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Nate Bloom (September 22, 2011). Celebrity Jews. Jweekly. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Jews in the News", by Nate Bloom in Arts & Culture, Pro Football, 2011, Let My People Go, September 2011
- Ron Kaplan (December 1, 2011). "Welcome to the club, Brian De La Puente (Updated) » Kaplan’s Korner on Jews and Sports". New Jersey Jewish News. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Ron Snyder (October 18, 2012). "- Active Jewish NFL Players". Baltimore Jewish Times. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Kansas City Claims G Brian De La Puente and LB Erik Walden on Waivers". kcchiefs.com. August 31, 2008. Retrieved September 4, 2008.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Danny O'Neil: However, roster update is". Twitter.com. August 25, 2009. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Seattle Seahawks Transactions at". Nfl.com. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Saints Questions: Can de la Puente, Collins maintain their surprisingly high level?", WWL-TV, July 11, 2012.
- Khaled Elsayed, "Ranking the 2012 Offensive Lines", Pro Football Focus, January 28, 2013.
- Larry Holder, "Center Brian de la Puente signs RFA tender with New Orleans Saints", Times-Picayune, April 9, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brian de la Puente.|