Location of Briar, Texas
|Counties||Tarrant, Wise, Parker|
|• Total||21.9 sq mi (56.8 km2)|
|• Land||20.5 sq mi (53.0 km2)|
|• Water||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
|• Density||260/sq mi (100/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1331241|
Briar is located at .(32.973507, -97.540710)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 21.9 square miles (56.8 km2), of which 20.5 square miles (53.0 km2) is land and 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), or 6.83%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,350 people, 1,923 households, and 1,505 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 260.1 people per square mile (100.4/km²). There were 2,105 housing units at an average density of 102.3/sq mi (39.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 95.48% White, 0.47% African American, 0.71% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 1.44% from other races, and 1.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.43% of the population.
There were 1,923 households out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.8% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,646, and the median income for a family was $53,169. Males had a median income of $40,401 versus $26,616 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,912. About 4.5% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.3% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
Briar has three convenience stores, a liquor store and a bar. One of the stores also features a grill-type restaurant. It is located close to Azle and Boyd, towns with a wide variety of retail businesses. Briar has several churches and a quaint, small-town feel.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Briar CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Briar CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 1, 2011.