Bridge School Benefit
The Bridge School Benefit is an annual charity concert held in Mountain View, California, every October at the Shoreline Amphitheatre. The concerts are organized by musician Neil Young and his wife, Pegi Young.
Proceeds benefit the Bridge School, which assists children with severe physical impairments and complex communication needs. One of the thrusts of the program is the use of advanced augmentative and alternative communication and assistive technology.
The first concert was in October 1986, and, with the exception of 1987, the concert has been held every year since. It is known for having a relatively high-profile lineup and strong performances, primarily due to Young's extensive connections within the music industry. He also performs every year. Generally, the performers use acoustic instruments.
A compilation of 25 recordings from the concerts, The Bridge School Concerts 25th Anniversary Edition was released in 2011 to critical acclaim.
List of concerts 
- Bridge I October 13, 1986 in Mountain View, California at the Shoreline Amphitheater
- Bridge II December 4, 1988 in Oakland, California at the Oakland Coliseum
- Bridge III October 28, 1989
- Bridge IV October 26, 1990
- Bridge V November 2, 1991
- Bridge VI November 1, 1992
- Bridge VII November 6, 1993
- Bridge VIII October 1 & October 2, 1994
- Bridge IX October 28, 1995
- Bridge X October 19 & October 20, 1996
- Bridge XI October 18 & October 19, 1997
- Bridge XII October 17 & October 18, 1998
- Bridge XIII October 30 & October 31, 1999
- Bridge XIV October 28 & October 29, 2000
- Bridge XV October 20 & October 21, 2001
- Bridge XVI October 26 & October 27, 2002
- Bridge XVII October 25 & October 26, 2003
- Bridge XVIII October 23 & October 24, 2004
- Bridge XIX October 29 & October 30, 2005
- Bridge XX October 21 & October 22, 2006
- Bridge XXI October 27 & October 28, 2007
- Bridge XXII October 25 & October 26, 2008
- Performers included: Neil Young, The Smashing Pumpkins (Day 2 only), Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, Wilco, Death Cab For Cutie, Sarah McLachlan (Day 1 only), Band of Horses (Day 1 only), Josh Groban (Day 2 only) and Cat Power. ZZ Top had been scheduled to perform on Day 1 but were dropped from the bill “due to a scheduling conflict.” Band of Horses replaced ZZ Top in the lineup.
- Bridge XXIII October 24 & October 25, 2009
- Bridge XXIV October 23 & October 24, 2010
- Performers included: Buffalo Springfield, Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello (Solo Day 1 only), Merle Haggard (canceled due to health) & Kris Kristofferson, Modest Mouse, Grizzly Bear, Lucinda Williams (Day 1 only), Billy Idol (Day 1 only), Jackson Browne & David Lindley (Day 1 only), T-Bone Burnett's Speaking Clock Revue featuring: Elton John, Leon Russell, Elvis Costello, Ralph Stanley, Neko Case, & Jeff Bridges (Day 2 Only), and guest appearances by Emmylou Harris (day 1 only) and Ramblin' Jack Elliott (day 2 finale only).
- Bridge XXV October 22 & October 23, 2011
- Performers included: Neil Young, Arcade Fire, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Tony Bennett (Day 2 only), Foo Fighters (Day 2 only), Eddie Vedder, Mumford & Sons, Los Invisibles featuring Carlos Santana, Cindy Blackman Santana & Guests, Beck, Norah Jones and The Little Willies, and Devendra Banhart. Jimmy Fallon (MC for Saturday only (missed flight)), Diana Krall and Jenny Lewis were scheduled to perform but canceled.
- Bridge XXVI October 20 & October 21, 2012
- "First Listen: 'The Bridge School Concerts'". National Public Radio. October 16, 2011. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "Pearl Jam to Perform at 24th Annual Bridge School Benefit". pearljam.com. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Lewis, Randy, "Merle Haggard misses Bridge School concert because of illness", October 24, 2010, Los Angeles Time, Pop & Hiss Blog, http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/10/merle-haggard-bridge-school-illness.html
- Bridge School Website
- HyperRust Bridge School Benefit Page - Lineups, reviews, Bridge Benefit Concert-Goer's Guide
- Being There Magazine review of 2006 Bridge School Benefit
- Unofficial Facebook Page