|• Type||Village Government|
|• Mayor||John Callarik|
|• Total||1.38 sq mi (3.57 km2)|
|• Land||1.37 sq mi (3.55 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||656 ft (200 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,808|
|• Density||1,336.5/sq mi (516.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064487|
Bridgeport is a village in Belmont County, Ohio, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,831 at the 2010 census. It lies across the Ohio River from Wheeling, West Virginia, and is connected by two bridges to Wheeling Island in the Ohio River.
Bridgeport, at the west end of the bridge of the Wheeling & Belmont Bridge Company, and connected with Wheeling, like Bellaire and Martin's Ferry, by street cars, is almost as old a town as Wheeling, and older than either of the others named.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.38 square miles (3.57 km2), of which, 1.37 square miles (3.55 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
The median income for a household in the village was $25,685, and the median income for a family was $33,231. Males had a median income of $24,156 versus $18,333 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,723. About 11.5% of families and 16.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.1% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,831 people, 810 households, and 472 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,336.5 inhabitants per square mile (516.0 /km2). There were 943 housing units at an average density of 688.3 per square mile (265.8 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 89.7% White, 6.9% African American, 0.2% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 3.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.2% of the population.
There were 810 households of which 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.2% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.7% were non-families. 35.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.91.
The median age in the village was 43.3 years. 19.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.5% were from 25 to 44; 30.7% were from 45 to 64; and 17.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 48.8% male and 51.2% female.
- Johnny Blatnik, Major League Baseball player
- Bobby Douglas, Olympic wrestler
- Bill Jobko, National Football League football player
- Joseph Henry Sharp, painter
- Thomas Clarke Theaker, Republican U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Bill White, Major League Baseball player
- John Todd Zimmer, leading ornithologist
- John Havlicek – Ohio State and Boston Celtic basketball great.
- Josh "The Cake" Baker - Professional Mixed Martial Arts Fighter and Professional Boxer.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bridgeport, Ohio in 1886". Wheeling Daily Intelligencer. Wheeling Daily Intelligencer. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1991. pp. 62–63. ISBN 0-89933-233-1.
- "Johnny Blatnik Baseball Stats by Baseball Almanac". baseball-almanac.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "It's past time to appreciate an overlooked champion: Tim Warsinskey's Take | cleveland.com". cleveland.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Bill Jobko Past Stats, Statistics, History, and Awards - databaseFootball.com". databasefootball.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Taos Painters: Joseph Henry Sharp (1859–1953)". jhsharp.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Thomas Clarke Theaker (1812–1883) – Find A Grave Memorial". findagrave.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Bill White Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Robert Cushman Murphy, Dean Amadon (1959). "In Memoriam John Todd Zimmer". Auk 76 (4): 418–423. doi:10.2307/4082310.
- http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/8970B6F30E07B813/Joshua-Baker/. Unknown parameter
|http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=ignored (help); Missing or empty
- http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/5260D1CD8EA08306/Todd-Bevan/. Missing or empty