Bridget Marie Carey (born June 1984) is an American technology journalist and host of the CNET Update. She authored the nation's first social media etiquette column, Poked and previously hosted a popular online gadget review show, Bridget Carey's Tech Review. Her award-winning writing commentary on netiquette started at The Miami Herald and was syndicated nationwide until August 2011. She has since departed to tech media website CNET.
Carey was born in Miami Beach, Florida and raised in Broward County. She graduated in 2006 with a BS in Journalism from the University of Florida, where she led as editor at the nation's largest student-run newspaper, The Independent Florida Alligator. While there she earned several commendations, including the Elmer Emig Award and the Dean Committee's Ruth and Rae O. Weimer Award.
Carey began her journalism career in 2006 as a reporter on the Herald's business desk. That year she became the newspaper's technology reporter and produced short video gadget reviews from her home computer's webcam, a series that quickly gained popularity with South Florida readers. In 2008, she began co-authoring Poked with fellow reporter Niala Boodhoo. Carey also wrote the newspaper's technology blog, "Cache and Carey," which was later renamed "The Digital Dish." Her tech reporting earned her the 2011 Green Eyeshade Award.
As viewership of her video reviews increased, the newspaper moved production to its in-house professional studio. The reviews were featured on WSFL-TV's morning show and PBS' Nightly Business Report. Her quirky consumer-angle gadget reviews, which displayed her affinity for sci-fi and other geek culture topics, made her a popular online personality.
She left the newspaper to join CNET in New York as a senior editor in 2011. She hosted "Loaded", CNET's roundup of the day's tech news headlines. She replaced that in April 2012 with a more in-depth daily news program, CNET Update.
- Society of Professional Journalists "South Florida Pro Presents Multimedia Meet-up", March 1, 2011, accessed August 25, 2011.
- Carey, Bridget "Take A Lesson From Facebook", August 17, 2011, accessed August 25, 2011.
- LinkedIn , accessed August 25, 2011.
- The Independent Florida Alligator The Independent Florida Alligator, accessed August 25, 2011.
- University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications "Award Winners", accessed August 25, 2011.
- The Miami Herald "The Digital Dish", August 4, 2011, accessed August 25, 2011.
- 2011 Green Eyeshade Awards "Award Winners", June 24, 2011, accessed August 25, 2011.
- Bridget Carey on WSFL-TV , April 24, 2009, accessed August 25, 2011.
- Miami Herald staff "Bridget Carey's video reviews to appear on 'Nightly Business Report'", Nov. 19, 2009, accessed August 25, 2011.
- Burkett, Karen "WLRN's Friday Business Report", August 12, 2011, accessed August 25, 2011.