|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Other names||Ruby Marlowe
|Alma mater||Michigan State University|
|Occupation||Voice actress, actress, ADR script writer, ADR director, model|
Bridget Hoffman is an American voice actress, ADR director and script writer in the Los Angeles area. She has provided voices for a number of English-language versions of Japanese anime films and television series, usually under an alias such as Ruby Marlowe, Serena Kolb, or Tessa Ariel. Some of her notable roles include title characters such as Belldandy in the Ah! My Goddess: The Movie feature film, Mizuho Kazami in Please Teacher, Mima Kirigoe in Perfect Blue, as well as lead ensemble characters as Rune Venus in the El Hazard series, Raquel Casull in Scrapped Princess, Fuu Hououji in Magic Knight Rayearth, Shinobu Maehara in Love Hina, and Irisviel von Einzbern in Fate/Zero. She served as the ADR director for the Fushigi Yuugi series and films, the Oh My Goddess movie, and a series of shorts called The Adventures of Mini-Goddess. She also provides background voices in a number of animated films dubbed in the Los Angeles area, including Frozen, Epic and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. In video games, she provides the voice of KOS-MOS in the Xenosaga series as well as Atoli in the .hack//G.U. series.
Hoffman grew up in the Detroit area and graduated from Michigan State in 1983. She was a model for the promotional pictures of Sam Raimi's 1981 film The Evil Dead, and has participated in several Josh Becker-directed films and episodes, including Running Time, Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter as well as small roles in Raimi's films Crimewave and Darkman. While in Los Angeles, she worked as an actress and also a narrator model for some auto shows. She starred alongside Ned Beatty as a historian who time travels with a group of scientists in the 1989 film Time Trackers. She had a starring guest role as Echidna, the Mother of all Monsters, in Raimi's television show Hercules: the Legendary Journeys, and would make other appearances in the series.
Hoffman has been involved in voiceovers for anime titles. Many of her roles have been under an alias such as Ruby Marlowe, which was her character's name in her 1994 film Double Exposure. She worked with Animaze / Pioneer Entertainment on the Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play anime series, where she served as the voice director as well as voice the starring role of Miaka Yuki; the show, along with another Pioneer production El-Hazard, where she voices Rune Venus, would air regularly on the International Channel. Her voice was not warmly received by critics on Anime News Network who disliked her squealing schoolgirl tone, and high pitch, although Mike Dungan of Mania.com find her direction and acting to be entertaining.
She starred as Mima Kirigoe in Perfect Blue, a suspense thriller film by Satoshi Kon about a former Japanese idol who tries her hand at acting, but whose life falls apart when she is stalked and her associates are killed. Carlos Ross of THEM Anime Reviews considered the general dub acting as "sophisticated, subtle, and well-done", while Chris Homer of Fandom Post enjoyed both the English and the Japanese versions. On the DVD extra for the film, Hoffman gave a Q&A about her character. She would also voice title character Lain Iwakura in Serial Experiments Lain; she plays a teenager who is deeply involved in the computer network world. Aaron Silver of Anime News Network thought the dubbing was decent but her role as Lain lacked some emotion in comparison with her Japanese voice counterpart.
With the studio Bang Zoom! Entertainment she voiced Fuu Hououji in Magic Knight Rayearth, which was about a trio of junior high students who are transported to a fantasy world. Both Rayearth seasons were dubbed into English. In 2001, she worked with Pioneer (now part of Geneon Entertainment) to ADR direct Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, a feature film in the Oh My Goddess franchise in which she also voiced the title character Belldandy. In a review of the movie, Karen Gellender of Mania.com, who was impressed by Hoffman's previous performances as Mima and Lain, thought the dubbing was a mixed bag, and that her portrayal of Belldandy was the weakest of the bunch, with rather forced acting of emotional dialogue. In contrast, Allen Divers of Anime News Network thought the English cast was suitable and comparable to the Japanese dub. Hoffman would later reprise the role of Belldandy in a series of cartoon shorts called The Adventures of Mini-Goddess, where she also served as its ADR script writer and the ADR director. She would also have a title role as Mizuho Kazami in Please Teacher, in which she portrays a teacher who marries her student and is actually a space alien, and a title role as Mahoro Andou in Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden, where she plays an android maid.
In the fantasy adventure Scrapped Princess, Hoffman plays Raquel Casull, the older sister of the title character. Theron Martin of Anime News Network describes her character as initially ditzy but becomes sensible and coldly pragmatic, and that her voice was a particularly good fit. Hoffman would voice high school student Shinobu Maehara in the Love Hina romantic comedy series, and supporting character Ryoko Asakura in Bang Zoom!'s dubbing of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series. She had recurring roles in the related anime series Lucky Star where she plays Inori Hiiragi, the eldest sister of the Hiiragi family, and Yukari Takara who is Miyuki's mother.
Hoffman would continue voice acting in the 2010s. In 2013, she voiced Irisviel von Einzbern in Fate/Zero, a prequel to the Fate/stay night series. Outside of anime productions, Hoffman has been involved in a number of animated films, including Frozen and Tangled, where she participates in background voices (ADR loop groups or Additional Voices). In 2012, she was a panelist in the SAG Foundation's Voice-Over Summit held in the Los Angeles area where she discussed ADR, Voice Matching, and Voice Replacement. She voices in video game series, including .hack//G.U. where she voices Atoli, and Xenosaga where she voices KOS-MOS in Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht and Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra. She also continues to act in local theatre productions.
- Adventures of Mini-Goddess - Belldandy (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Ah! My Goddess: The Movie - Belldandy (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Bastard!! - The Princess Sheila
- Battle Athletes - Anna Resphigi, Ling-pha Wong
- The Castle of Cagliostro - Lady Clarisse d'Cagliostro (as Ruby Marlowe, Animaze/Manga dub)
- Chobits - Chitose Hibiya (as Ellen Wilkinson)
- Digimon - Jeri Katou, D-Reaper/Agents (Digimon Tamers TV), Patamon (Digimon Frontier/Movie 4)
- Durarara!! - Namie Yagiri
- El Hazard - Rune Venus, Fatora Venus (as Tesessa Ariel)
- Eureka Seven - Sonia Wakabayashi
- Fate/Zero - Irisviel von Einzbern
- From Up on Poppy Hill - Yuko
- Fushigi Yûgi - Miaka Yuki
- Gatekeepers - Fen Fei-Ling (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Gatekeepers 21 - Chinami Watanabe
- Gurren Lagann - Nia Teppelin (Ep. 17-27)
- Hand Maid May - Cyberdoll Kei
- Initial D - Maya (Tokyopop dub)
- Love Hina - Shinobu Maehara
- Lucky ☆ Star - Inori Hiiragi, Yukari Takara
- Magic Knight Rayearth - Fuu Hououji
- Mahoromatic - Mahoro Andou (as Ellen Wilkerson)
- Mars Daybreak - Selena Knightley
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Ryoko Asakura
- Naruto - Isaribi (Ep. 169-173), Lady In Waiting #2 (Ep. 192), Amayo (Naruto movie 3)
- Perfect Blue - Mima Kirigoe (credited as Ruby Marlowe)
- Please Teacher! / Please Twins! - Mizuho Kazami
- Real Bout High School - Azumi Kiribayashi (as Serena Kolb)
- Saber Marionette J Again - Cherry (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Scrapped Princess - Raquel Casull
- Serial Experiments Lain - Lain Iwakura
- Strait Jacket - Nerin Simmons
- Trigun - Rem Saverem (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Vandread - Ezra Vieil
- Wolf's Rain - Cole
- X (TV) - Princess Hinoto
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - Young Flint
- Dreamworks Dragons: Gift of the Night Fury - Female Viking
- Epic - Additional Voices
- Frozen - Additional Voices
- Hotel Transylvania
- Open Season 2 - Additional Voices
- ParaNorman - Crystal, Parachutist Ghost, Librarian 
- Tangled - Additional Voices
- The House of Magic - Additional Voices
- Army of Darkness (1992) - Swordfighter
- Caprica - Newswoman (episode "Retribution")
- Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter (1982) - Native
- Crimewave (1985) - Nun
- Darkman (1990) - Computer Voice
- Double Exposure (1994) - Ruby Marlowe
- Drag Me To Hell (2009) - Ghost at Seance
- ER - Mrs. Bradley (episode "Let the Games Begin")
- Eureka - Computer Voice (multiple episodes including "Shower the People" and "You Don't Know Jack")
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys - Echidna (episodes "The Mother of All Monsters", "Cast a Giant Shadow", and "Monster Child in the Promised Land") 
- My Name Is Modesty (2004) - Additional Voices
- Red Lights (2012) - Radio Duo Female Voice
- Running Time (1997) - Receptionist
- Time Trackers (1989) - Madeline Hart
- Total Recall (2012) - Chopper Voice
- Veronica Mars (1991) - Ellen Sinclair (episode "Silence of the Lamb")
- .hack//G.U. vol.1//Rebirth - Atoli, Michiru Tajima
- .hack//G.U. vol.2//Reminisce - Atoli, Michiru Tajima
- .hack//G.U. vol.3//Redemption - Atoli, Michiru Tajima
- The Bouncer - Dominique Cross (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Galerians: Ash - Dr. Lilia Pascalle (as Ruby Marlowe)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Lois Lane, Supergirl
- Soldier of Fortune - Taylor
- Star Ocean Till the End of Time - Tynave
- Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - KOS-MOS[note 1]
- Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra - KOS-MOS, T-elos (as Bridgett Hoffman)
- Ah! My Goddess: The Movie
- The Adventures of Mini-Goddess
- Fushigi Yûgi
- Saber Marionette J Again (as Brigette Hoffman)
ADR script writer
- The closing credits of this video game do not list the voice actors involved.
- Becker, Josh. "Josh Becker: Q & A archive, page 52". Beckerfilms.com. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Martin, Theron (May 26, 2005). "Scrapped Princess DVD 1 - Review". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Green, Scott (February 6, 2013). "English-Dubbed "Fate/zero" to Run on Neon Alley". Crunchyroll. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Reminder List of Productions Eligible for the 86th Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences". Oscars.org. August 24, 2012. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "MSU Alumni Magazine Vol. 1-3". MSU Alumni Association. 1983. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Warren, Bill (2001). The Evil Dead Companion. Macmillan. p. 86. ISBN 9780312275013.
- "Interviews - Bruce Campbell". Book Of The Dead - The Definitive Evil Dead Website. September 9, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2014. "caption: Bruce Campbell posing alongside Bridget Hoffman in a promo photo taken by Mike Ditz for The Evil Dead (1981)"
- "THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY PROJECT – TIME TRACKERS (1989)". Daily Grindhouse. April 25, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Frantz, Douglas (January 9, 1989). "High-Octane Auto Shows : Exhibitions' 'Glitter' Still Relies on Sex Appeal to Add Flash". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Houston, Don (November 29, 2003). "Hercules:Legendary Journeys -Season 2 : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video". DVD Talk. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Santos, Carlo (January 24, 2005). "Fushigi Yuugi DVD 2 Review". Anime News Network.
- "Mysterious Play (Fushigi Yugi)". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- Dungan, Mike (April 19, 2005). "Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play Vol. #4". Mania.com.
- Ross, Carlos (1997). "Perfect Blue". THEM Anime Reviews. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Homer, Chris (December 27, 2013). "Perfect Blue Blu-ray Anime Review". The Fandom Post. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Interview with English Mima - Perfect Blue DVD (DVD) (in English). Manga Entertainment. 2000.
- Silver, Aaron. "Serial Experiments Lain - DVD Vol. 1-4". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Bridget Hoffman". Crystal Acids. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Gellender, Karen (February 6, 2002). "Ah! My Goddess The Movie". Mania.com. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Please teacher! / Volume 2, Meet the in-laws (DVD video, 2004)". February 22, 1999. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Amazon.com: Mahoromatic Ultimate Collection: Bridget Hoffman, Derek Stephen Prince: Movies & TV". Amazon. ASIN B007V2LN7Y. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- "Drawn Into the Land of Adventure" (in English). Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden. Episode 1. Nozomi Entertainment (was Pioneer/Geneon). Event occurs at 23:02 credits list. Hulu. http://www.hulu.com/watch/592535#i0,p0,d0. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Dub Cast Announced - News". Anime News Network. February 9, 2007. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Santos, Carlo (December 20, 2013). "Fate/Zero Blu Ray Box Set 1 (Limited Edition)". Anime News Network.
- "Voice-Over Summit 2012 Benefits - The Don LaFontaine Voice-Over Lab". Kurt Kelly News. February 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- .hack//G.U. vol.2//Reminisce closing credits, English Voice Cast
- Dunham, Jeremy (August 30, 2006). "Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra Review". IGN. "Several of the Episode I voice actors have been brought back to replace the generic-sounding Episode II counterparts too, with Shion, KOS-MOS, and a number of other supporting characters back to their original vocals."
- Xenosaga Episode III video game, closing credits - Cast
- Williams, Jerod (2010). "Quickies Too! Scenes From A Bar Theatre Review – What Happens In The Bar Stays In The Bar". LA Splash. Los Angeles: Splash magazines. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- Shirley, Don (November 19, 1994). "Theater Review : 'Assassins': Sondheim's Killer Musical Comedy Hits the Mark". Los Angeles Times.
- "Christmas in El Paso - Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 3:00p". Orange County Register. 2009.
- "The adventures of mini-goddess. / Volume 4, The Skuld files (DVD video, 2002)". [WorldCat.org]. February 22, 1999. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Divers, Allen (July 4, 2002). "Ah My Goddess The Movie - Review". Anime News Network.
- "The Castle of Cagliostro". The Castle of Cagliostro. Manga Entertainment. 2000. Event occurs at 1:41:40. Hulu. http://www.hulu.com/watch/219524.
- "Chi Awakens" (in English). Chobits. Event occurs at 23:43. Netflix.
- Amith, Dennis. "Chobits: The Complete Series (a J!-ENT Anime Blu-ray Disc Review)". J!-ENT. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Chobits: Complete 1-7 Thinpak Box Set DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Rie Tanaka, Crispin Freeman, Tomokazu Sugita, Karen Strassman, Bridget Hoffman, Patrick Schmitz, Kikuko Inoue, Tomokazu Seki, Motoko Kumai, Houko Kuwashima, Fumiko Orikasa, Steve Blum, Nanase Ôkawa: DVD & Blu-ray". Amazon. UK. ASIN B0009ZE9QM. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Amith, Dennis (April 7, 2011). "Durarara!! part 02 (a J!-ENT Anime DVD Review)". J!-ENT. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "El Hazard: The Alternative World, Vol. 2: The Spring of Life: Bridget Hoffman, Eddie Frierson, Lia Sargent, Michael Sorich, Patricia Ja Lee, R. Martin Klein, Dorothy Elias-Fahn, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Melissa Fahn, Stephen Apostolina, David S. Beider, Steve Blum: Movies & TV". Amazon. ASIN B00000JSIE. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Drawn Into the Land of Adventure" (in English). El-Hazard. Episode 1. Nozomi Entertainment (was Pioneer/Geneon). Event occurs at 21:56. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKg6jRo3Thw. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Bridget Hoffman". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Dungan, Mike (April 19, 2005). "Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play Vol. #4". Mania.com. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Gate keepers. / Volume 1, Open the gate!". Geneon Entertainment. 2004.
- Amith, Dennis (May 19, 2013). "Gurren Lagann DVD TV Series Box Set – Limited Edition (a J!-ENT Anime DVD Review)". J!-ENT. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Magic knight Rayearth. / Season 1 (DVD video, 2009)". WorldCat. February 22, 1999. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Samurai Girl Appears" (in English). Real Bout High School. Episode 1. Tokyopop. Event occurs at 23:45.
- "Everyone's Happy" (in English). Saber Marionette J Again. Episode 1. Pioneer / Funimation.
- Gencarelli, Mike (March 29, 2013). "Blu-ray Review "Serial Experiments: Lain – Complete Series"". MediaMikes.com. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Rem Saverem" (in English). Trigun. Episode 17. Pioneer / Funimation. 2003 / 2010. Event occurs at 23:56. Netflix.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. 2013. Event occurs at 1:29:28.
- "Hotel Transylvania (2012) - Acting credits". All Movie Guide. New York Times. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- Open Season 2. 2008. 1 hour 12 minutes in.
- ParaNorman. 2012. 1 hour 30 minutes in.
- "Army of Darkness Credits". Book Of The Dead - The Definitive Evil Dead Website. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Caprica. Season 1. Episode 12. 43 minutes in.
- Robson, Eddie (2011). Coen Brothers - Virgin Film. Random House. p. 41. ISBN 9780753547700.
- Gritten, David, ed. (April 28, 2008). Halliwell's Film Video and DVD Guide 2008. HarperCollins UK. ISBN 978-0007260805. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Paone, Pat. "Ron Perlman - "Double Exposure"". Perlmanpages.com. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- All Movie Guide. "Drag Me to Hell (2009) - Acting Credits". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Eureka. Season 3. Episode 15. 43 minutes in. "Co-Starring - Bridget Hoffman - Computer Voice"
- Eureka. Season 3. Episode 16. Event occurs at 42:38. "Co-Starring - Bridget Hoffman - Computer Voice"
- Jankiewicz, Pat (October 1999). "Maternal Menace". Starlog (267): 72–74.
- My Name Is Modesty: A Modesty Blaise Adventure. 2004. Event occurs at 1:15:28.
- All Movie Guide. "Red Lights (2012) - Acting Credits". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Becker, Josh. "Scrapbook". BeckerFilms. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Bailey, Keith. "Time Trackers - The Unknown Movies". K-bailey.com. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Variety's Film Reviews 1989-1990 21. R R Bowker / Garland Publishing. 1989. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- All Movie Guide. "Total Recall (2012) - Acting Credits". Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- .hack//G.U. vol.3//Redemption closing credits, English Voice Cast
- Lego Batman 2: Credits. Event occurs at 4:53. Retrieved July 12, 2014.