Bridgeton High School
|Bridgeton High School|
|111 N. West Avenue
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Bridgeton Public Schools|
|Principal||Lynn B. Williams|
|Assistant principals||Azeem Ahmad
|Faculty||106.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||867 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.11:1|
|Color(s)||Grey, Maroon and White|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
Bridgeton High School is a comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from the city of Bridgeton, in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Bridgeton Public Schools, an Abbott District. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1931.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 867 students and 106.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.11:1. There were 659 students (76.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 64 (7.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 334th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 273rd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 303rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 297th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 283rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Bridgeton High School Bulldogs compete in the National Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County, and Gloucester County, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 725 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as South Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 486 to 748 students in that grade range.
The boys’ and girls’ track teams were the CAL champions for the 2005-06 season. The boys track team was the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association Division II state champions.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Lynn B. Williams - Principal
- Azeem Ahmad - Assistant Principal
- Steve Lynch - Assistant Principal
- Steven Morris - Assistant Principal
- Julie Ann Dawson (born 1971), horror fiction writer, RPG designer and publisher.
- Nadia Davy (born 1980), Jamaican track athlete who won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.
- Braheme Days (born 1995), shot putter.
- James Galanos (born 1925), fashion designer.
- Helen Gandy (1897–1988) Secretary to Federal Bureau of Investigation Director J. Edgar Hoover for 54 years.
- George Jamison (born 1962), NFL linebacker who played for the Detroit Lions.
- Harvey Johnson (1919–1983), head coach of the NFLs Buffalo Bills in 1971.
- Brison Manor (born 1952), defensive lineman who played eight seasons in the National Football League for the Denver Broncos, from 1977-1984.
- Harold E. Pierce (1922-2006), dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon.
- Shana Williams (born 1972), former track and field athlete who competed in the long jump.
- Data for Bridgeton High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- Abbott Districts, New Jersey Department of Education, backed up by the Internet Archive as of May 15, 2009. Accessed October 8, 2011.
- Member Directory, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Accessed September 20, 2012.
- Region Profile - Western/Southern Cumberland Region Strategic Plan, Cumberland Development Corporation, January 2003. Accessed December 21, 2014. "Students in grades 9-12 residing in Commercial, Maurice River and a portion of Lawrence Townships attend Millville High School. Students in Bridgeton, Downe and a portion of Lawrence Township attend Bridgeton High School."
- Staff. "Bridgeton High School", South Jersey magazine. Accessed December 21, 2014. "Bridgeton High School provides opportunities for students from Bridgeton, Lawrence Township and Downe Township in Cumberland County to become members of society who are thoughtful, informed, involved and committed to life-long learning."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 24, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed October 8, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for South Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- Office Staff, Bridgeton High School. Accessed November 18, 2014.
- From Bridgeton to Athens games (McCann, Courtney). August 31, 2009. The Press of Atlantic City. Accessed February 10, 2014.
- Dougherty, Nyssa. "Bridgeton shot putter Braheme Days Jr. uses hard work to become The Press Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Year", The Press of Atlantic City, March 21, 2012. Accessed April 14, 2012. "Bridgeton High School junior Braheme Days Jr. is constantly looking to improve in his high school track and field career."
- Gerston, Jill. "PERSONALITY: NANCY REAGAN PUT GALANOS ON THE MAP", The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 19, 1981. Accessed July 29, 2007. "Like another famous Jimmy, James Galanos was "Jimmy who?"... After graduating from Bridgeton High School... "
- McCullen, Sean C. "BHS Hall of Fame grows", Bridgeton News, November 16, 2007. Accessed December 11, 2007. The third class of the Bridgeton High School Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame was inducted during a ceremony at the high school Thursday night. The 2007-2008 inductees are fashion designer James Galanos (Class of 1942)..."
- George Jamison player profile, database Football. Accessed July 29, 2007.
- Harvey Johnson player profile @ databaseFootball.com. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Brison Manor, database Football. Accessed October 24, 2007.
- Sims, Gayle Ronan. "Harold E. Pierce Jr., 84, dermatologist, surgeon", The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 4, 2006. Accessed December 21, 2014. "He was born in the Art Museum area, and his mother died when he was 7. His father decided the best situation for his son was to be raised by his paternal grandparents in Bridgeton, N.J. He graduated from Bridgeton High School in 1939 and earned a bachelor's degree in science in 1943 from Lincoln University and a medical degree in 1946 from Howard University."
- Hadden, Doug. "Bridgeton Athlete Takes 3 Events In Girls' Track", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 8, 1988. Accessed December 21, 2014. "Bridgeton High's Shana Williams won three events, and Kingsway was an easy winner in the team competition, highlighting yesterday's 16th annual Pennsauken-South Jersey Open track meet for girls."
- Bridgeton High School
- Bridgeton Public Schools
- Bridgeton Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Bridgeton Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Bridgeton HS