She taught at San Francisco State University, Brown University, Harvard University, CalArts, and currently teaches at University of Southern California where she is also the director of USC's Master of Professional Writing Program. In 2012, she was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship.
She is a Usual Suspect at New York Theatre Workshop, and is a Core Member of the Playwrights' Center in Minneapolis.
- Whiting Foundation Fellowship
- the Will Glickman Award
- NEA Fellowship
- Jane Chambers Award
- residencies at Lincoln Center, New York Stage and Film, Mabou Mines, and the Institute for Art and Civic Dialogue (with Anna Deavere Smith).
- Monkey in the Middle. Playscripts, Inc.
- Topographical Eden (International Theatre Forum)
- Pathological Venus (Lucky Thirteen, University of Nevada Press)
- CLICK (TCG, 2002).
- Those Who Can, Do. Playscripts, Inc.
- Meatless Friday
- Baby Hades
- Where Dante Would Put the Bush
- Dear Utopia. University of Iowa. 1989.
- Harold Bloom, David Lehman, ed. (1998). The Best of the Best American Poetry 1988-1997. Scribner. ISBN 978-0-684-84279-0.
- A. R. Ammons, David Lehman, ed. (1994). The Best American Poetry 1994. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-671-89948-6.
- Steven Earnshaw, ed. (2007). "Writing for the Stage". The Handbook of Creative Writing. Edinburgh University Press. ISBN 978-0-7486-2135-4.