Brighton, Syracuse, New York
Southside (also called Brighton) is one the 26 official neighborhoods in Syracuse, New York.
Schools in the neighborhood include McKinley–Brighton Elementary School, Danforth Middle School, and the William R. Beard School. The high school serving the area is Corcoran High School located in nearby Strathmore. Parks include 33-acre Kirk Park (which abuts Onondaga Park) and McKinley Park.
Midland sewage treatment plant
The neighborhood is the site of the Midland Avenue Regional Treatment Facility. Onondaga County announced the planned construction in 1999 to comply with a 1998 court order to reduce the amount of sewage entering Onondaga Lake. Construction began in 2005. As of 2010 the plant is in operation.
Today's Southside includes the village of Danforth, which was incorporated from 1874 to 1887 before it was annexed by the city of Syracuse. The village was named in honor of early Onondaga County settler Asa Danforth. The Onondaga people are indigenous to the area.
- (Report). City of Syracuse. 2010 Syracuse Housing Plan. pp. 104–106. http://www.syracuse.ny.us/uploadedFiles/Departments/CommunityDevelopment/Content/Southside%20from%202010%20Syracuse%20Housing%20Plan.pdf. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Parsons, Sarah (February 2008). "Sewage on the Southside: Not in my backyard". Plenty. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Carty, Linda (April 2007). "The Dirty Saga of Onondaga County". Ms. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Beckwith, Maggie (April 15, 2004). "Law students file complaint, challenges Midland sewage plan". The Daily Orange.
- Knauss, Tim (January 18, 2010). "Activists' persistence on sewage pushed Onondaga County to 'go green'". The Post-Standard. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- "Events in City's History 1848-1897". Syracuse Herald (Syracuse, New York). October 10, 1897.
- Smith, Edward (1893). A history of the schools of Syracuse from its early settlement to January 1, 1893. Syracuse, New York: C.W. Bardeen. p. 34. LCCN 06015975.
|This article about a location in Onondaga County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|