|Constituency||Shannon, County Clare|
|Born||Derry, Northern Ireland|
|Political party||Irish Republican Socialist Party,
Brigid Makowski (née Sheils) is a former member of Shannon Town Commission and Clare County Council. She was elected initially representing the Irish Republican Socialist Party of which she was a founding member.
She was born in the Bogside area of Derry, and was involved in the 1968 civil rights march in the city at the beginning of the Troubles. She married Leo Makowski a Polish-American whom she met in Philadelphia.
She joined the Irish American grouping Clann na Gael in Philadelphia, and proposed that a Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association banner be included in the 1969 Saint Patrick's Day parade. Originally she was a member of Sinn Féin and sided with the Official wing during the 1970 split.
She disagreed however with the 1972 ceasefire and was a supporter of Seamus Costello. She was called to testify at the Official Irish Republican Army court-martial of Costello in Mornington. She remarked after Costello had been dismissed that "Jesus could have testified on Costello's behalf and it wouldn't have changed the verdict." After Costello's expulsion from Official Sinn Féin and the Official IRA, she became a founding member of the Irish Republican Socialist Party. She was elected in 1981 as a councillor to the Shannon Town Commission.
She was re-elected as an Independent after leaving the IRSP. She was later elected to Clare County Council in 1991. Makowski campaigned against the building of the visitor centre in Mullaghmore, in the Burren. She later became a county councillor and for a while was considered a possible future TD for Clare. She retired from political life in 1999.
- Daughter of Derry: The Story of Brigid Sheils Makowski, by Margie Bernard, Pluto Press (1989)
- Black and Green - Civil Rights Struggles in Northern Ireland and Black America., by Brian Dooley, Pluto Press.(1998)
- The Lost Revolution : The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers' Party by Brian Hanley and Scott Millar, p. 272
- Brigid Makowski electoral history Elections Ireland.
- Local Elections Shannon Town Council website
- "Call to voters on development", Irish Times ,Wednesday, 6 June 1997