Brij Kothari (left) speaks to a group of children
9 June 1964 |
|Occupation||Academic and Social Entrepreneur|
Brij Kothari was born to a business entrepreneur. His parents were particular about education and sent him to Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education (SAICE) in Pondicherry. He is an alumnus of IIT Kanpur., and did his Ph.D. from Cornell University. He is a Schwab Social Entrepreneur, an Ashoka Fellow and a Stanford/Reuters Digital Vision Fellow.
After completion of his academic pursuits Kothari returned to India. In 1996 he joined the faculty of the Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad. While continuing to teach communication to MBA students, he started work on SLS at IIM. He has been on the Faculty of IIM Ahmedabad, as Associate and Adjunct Professor, since 1996.
In 1999, in an effort to improve functional literacy rates in India, he experimented with subtitles on Chitrageet, a Gujarati television program. In 2002, the Doordarshan network subtitled their national program Chitrahaar. Since 2006, SLS has been implemented on one weekly program each in Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, and Marathi. The main goal is to persuade broadcasting policy in India to implement SLS on all songs on TV, in all languages.
Kothari is the president of PlanetRead, a non-profit involved in furthering Same Language Subtitling throughout the world. He is also the founder of BookBox, a social venture funded by First Light Ventures that produces animated, read-along stories for children in languages such as English, Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi, and over 21 others.
Brij Kothari is married. He has two sons and a daughter. He lives in Piedmont, California.
- Library of Congress, International Literacy Prize, 2013
- USAID, Winner, All Children Reading Grand Challenge, 2012
- NASSCOM, Social Innovation Honour, 2011
- Indian Social Entrepreneur of the Year, 2009, Schwab Foundation and UNDP
- Clinton Global Initiative, 2009 and 2011, Feature
- Ashoka Fellow, 2004,
- Tech Laureate (Education), The Tech Awards - 2003
- Winner, Development Marketplace, Global innovation competition - World Bank, 2002
- Bill Clinton on Same Language Subtitling, Clinton Global Initiative, 2009
- Bollywood Lessons, SBS Dateline (Australia), 2014
- Deutsche Welle TV Documentary, 2012
- Sydney Morning Herald, 2013
- Boston Globe, September 19, 2010
- National Geographic, February 22, 2012
- The Guardian, May 9, 2012
- Huffington Post, February 8, 2011
- New York Times, October 30, 2010
- Outlook, December 20, 2010
- Tehelka, May 7, 2011
- The Hindu, April 6, 2011
- Gurcharan Das Op-Ed, Times of India, April 7, 2008
- Davos, Interview by OneWorld, January 29, 2011
- Run in with Bill Clinton in Davos, January 27, 2011
- Interview, Financial Times, Clinton Global Initiative, 2009
- Interview, Frankfurt Bookfair, LitCam, 2009
- Reading Out of the "Idiot Box": Same-Language Subtitling on Television in India By Brij Kothari
- Articles written by Brij Kothari
- Podcast Interview with Brij Kothari Social Innovation Conversations, April 4, 2008
- Brij Kothari's columns on Social Entrepreneurship, Financial Chronicle