Brimful of Asha
|"Brimful of Asha"|
|Single by Cornershop|
|from the album When I Was Born for the 7th Time|
|Length||5:17 (album version)
4:07 (single version)
|Cornershop singles chronology|
"Brimful of Asha" is a 1997 single by British alternative rock band Cornershop, which originally reached number 60 in the UK Singles Chart in 1997. After a remixed version of the song by Norman Cook, originally released only as a limited edition 12-inch single in the UK, became both a radio and critical success, the song was re-released and reached number one in the UK chart in February 1998, and #16 on the US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The lyrics are a tribute to Asha Bhosle.
This song is based upon the history of film culture in India. Since their introduction, Indian films have relied heavily on song-and-dance numbers. Almost always, the singing was performed by background singers while the actors and actresses lip-sync. Asha Bhosle is one of these playback singers who has sung over 12,000 songs, and is referred to as "Sadi rani" (Punjabi for "our queen") at one point in the lyrics. In the slower, original album recording, playback singers Lata Mangeshkar (her older sibling) and Mohammad Rafi (one of the top male playback singers of the mid-century) are also mentioned in the song.The lyrics of the song's bridge contain a number of references to non-Indian music, including Georges Brassens' song "Les Amoureux des bancs publics", Jacques Dutronc, Marc Bolan, Argo Records and Trojan Records. DJ Norman Cook was asked to remix the track, speeding it up and in a higher key (B rather than A), and it became a major success as a number 1 single.
Norman Cook remix
|"Brimful of Asha
(Norman Cook remix)"
|Single by Cornershop
remixed by Norman Cook
|from the album The Greatest Hits – Why Try Harder by Fatboy Slim|
|Released||January 20, 1998|
|Genre||Big beat, rave|
|Length||4:03 (single version)
7:35 (extended version)
Charts and certifications
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||5|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||20|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||84|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||83|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||26|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||16|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 616. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Cornershop". Users.globalnet.co.uk. 1998-12-28. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- Scholtes, Peter (2007-08-22), Seen Your Video, City Pages
- "150 Best Tracks Of The Past 15 Years". NME. 2012-05-02. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Australian-charts.com – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Cornershop: Brimful of Asha" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "The Irish Charts – All there is to Know" (enter search parameter Cornershop into Search by Artist box, then select Go). Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Hits of the World". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media) 110 (18): 62. May 2, 1998. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". VG-lista. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". Singles Top 60. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 1998-02-28" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Cornershop Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Cornershop. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "British single certifications – Cornershop – Brimful of Asha". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved September 9, 2012. Enter Brimful of Asha in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
"My Heart Will Go On" by Céline Dion
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
for "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop
22–28 February 1998
"Frozen" by Madonna