Bring On the Rain
|"Bring on the Rain"|
|Single by Jo Dee Messina with Tim McGraw|
|from the album Burn|
|Released||September 10, 2001|
|Length||3:59 (Album Version)
2:59 (Radio Edit)
|Writer(s)||Billy Montana, Helen Darling|
|Producer(s)||Byron Gallimore, Tim McGraw|
|Jo Dee Messina chronology|
"Bring On the Rain" is a song written by Billy Montana and Helen Darling, and recorded by American country music artist Jo Dee Messina. It was released in September 2001 as the fourth single from her album Burn. In March 2002, it became Messina's fifth Number One hit, and her highest entry on the Adult Contemporary charts.
"Bring on the Rain" is a mid-tempo country pop ballad. In it, the narrator tells that she has had a bad day, but is not let down by it, and is ready for another day as well: "Tomorrow's another day / And I'm thirsty anyway / So bring on the rain." Tim McGraw sings background vocals throughout.
Messina said that, from the first listen, she "loved" the song, and thought that its message would resonate well, considering that it was released a day before the September 11 attacks. After the song had peaked, her fan club received an e-mail from a woman whose daughter was undergoing chemotherapy. In the letter, the mother explained that her daughter quoted the chorus to her.
It was used on the Touched by an Angel episode Bring On the Rain.
"Bring On the Rain" debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of September 15, 2001. "Bring on the Rain" reached its peak of Number One on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts for the week of March 9, 2002. During most of its chart run, it overlapped with McGraw's then-current single "The Cowboy in Me", which took over the Number One spot a week later. The song was also Messina's highest entry on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks charts, peaking at number 6 there.
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||16|
"Good Morning Beautiful"
by Steve Holy
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
March 9, 2002
"The Cowboy in Me"
by Tim McGraw
- Morris, Edward (2002-04-09). ""Bring On the Rain" brings on the praise". CMT. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- ""Bring On the Rain" makes #1 splash". Broadcast Music Incorporated. 2002-04-21. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jo Dee Messina. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jo Dee Messina. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Jo Dee Messina Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Jo Dee Messina. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Best of 2002: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2002. Retrieved July 24, 2012.