Bristol General Hospital
|Bristol General Hospital|
|University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust|
Western view of BGH
|Location||Bristol, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||No Accident & Emergency|
|Closed||4 April 2012|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Bristol General Hospital (sometimes referred to as BGH or Bristol General) was a rehabilitation hospital in Guinea Street, Harbourside, Bristol, in the south west of England. It opened in 1832, and closed in 2012. The BGH was part of the University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust (UHBristol) which includes eight hospitals within Bristol.
The hospital originally opened in 1832 taking only patients from the Bristol area, and expanding to outside Bristol in 1850. At the time of its closure, the hospital covered Bristol and North Somerset unitary authorities.
Specific services include:
Inpatients had access to a restaurant, a hairdresser, and a daily trolley service selling confectionery and toiletries. Daily newspapers could also be delivered Monday to Friday.
The hospital closed on 4 April 2012, Patients transferred to South Bristol Community Hospital. Some services will moved to the Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI), and others to the new South Bristol Community Hospital. In Autumn 2010 BNP Paribas Real Estate was instructed to sell the hospital site and marketing began on Friday 8 October. A development brief for the three acre site been produced by planners Barton Willmore which had been agreed by Bristol City Council.
In popular culture
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bristol General Hospital.|
- "Bristol General Hospital". University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- "Bristol General Hospital - What We Do". University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- "Bristol General Hospital - Facilities". University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- "Bristol Royal Infirmary in line for £90 million makeover". Bristol Evening Post. 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- "South Bristol Community Hospital/Bristol General Hospital" (MSWord). Bristol South and West NHS Primary Care Trust. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- "Second bite for BBC's Being Human". BBC News. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2009.