Art by Cliff Rathburn
|First appearance||Brit (July 2003)|
|Created by||Tony Moore|
|Team affiliations||Global Defence Agency
Guardians of the Globe
Brit starred in three one-shots: Brit (July 2003), Brit: Cold Death (December 2003), Brit: Red, White, Black and Blue (August 2004). Robert Kirkman wrote the three one-shots with Tony Moore illustrating the first and second issue and with Cliff Rathburn on the third. The one-shots have been collected in a trade paperback and was released in March 2007.
In August 2007, Brit was launched as an ongoing full-color series written by Bruce Brown and features Rathburn's debut as an ongoing series artist. The series was overseen and edited by Kirkman. As of the second issue, Andy Kuhn came aboard as the series' breakdown artist. In the seventh issue, Rathburn was replaced by Nate Bellegarde as the new artist. The series expanded Brit's universe by introducing his brother and Sister and also revealed the origin of his powers.
The series was brought to a close with issue #12, because, according to Kirkman, "the book sells a fraction of what Invincible, The Walking Dead and The Astounding Wolf-Man sell. But I could have kept it going. I blame a horrendous shipping schedule for the low sales... something that I must shoulder the bulk of the blame for."
Powers and abilities
Brit's main superhuman ability is that of invulnerability. His body is totally impervious to any and every kind of physical injury and the limits of his invulnerability are unknown. Unlike many superheroes depicted with invulnerability, Brit does not show any degree of superhuman strength; he is only as strong as a regular human male relative to his physique. Brit's powers are the result of a serum developed by his father some time before World War I and in addition to invulnerability, the serum also slowed his aging process.
- Jessica: Brit's wife. Former law student turned stripper at club owned by Brit.
- Brittany, Jr.: Brit's infant son.
- Britney: Brit's younger half-sister
- Cecil Stedman: Head of the clandestine Global Defense Agency.
- Donald Ferguson: Superhuman liaison of the Global Defense Agency, Brit's contact, and android.
- Steven Erickson: Former Deputy Director of the Global Defense Agency and Brit's former boss.
- Slitter: Interim Deputy Director of the Global Defense Agency and Brit's new superior.
- Euclid: Brit's nemesis.
The comics have been collected into trade paperback: