British Asian Trust
|HRH The Prince of Wales, President|
The British Asian Trust was founded in 2007 by a group of British Asian business leaders at the suggestion of Prince Charles It is one of 20 Princes Charities. Founded by HRH The Prince of Wales and led by the community, The British Asian Trust aims to transform lives by investing in charities making the greatest impact on poverty in South Asia and the UK. The Trust works for lasting change by increasing the power of charitable giving in the critical areas of education, health and livelihoods.
Since its establishment in 2007, the Trust has touched the lives of 350,000 disadvantaged people in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the UK. Currently[when?] 12 charities receive support and over £1 million has been leveraged in matched funding through four major co-funders.
The British Asian Trust works to tackle urgent problems facing disadvantaged communities in South Asia and the UK. It supports 11 local charity partners in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the UK.
Funding for Trust charity partners is divided into three areas: livelihoods (43 percent), education (36 percent) and health (21 percent).
To create livelihoods for people living in poverty, The Trust works with Mann Deshi Udyogini Business School for Rural Women, India Saath, India; Barefoot College, India; Bharti Foundation, India; The Prince’s Charities, UK Street League, UK and B’Yeah, Bangladesh.
Health charities receiving funding from the Trust are The Layton Rahmatulla Benevolent Trust, Wells for India and The Jal Bhagirathi Foundation, India.
Ambassadors and Directors
As of February 2014, thirty four ambassadors from the worlds of television, film, sport and cuisine support the Trust including comedian Sanjeev Bhaskar, cricketer Isa Guha, celebrity chef Atul Kochhar, popular boyband One Direction's Zayn Malik, BBC News presenter Mishal Husain and entrepreneur James Caan.
- "The Prince of Wales gives a speech to supporters of the British Asian Trust at Windsor Castle". The Prince of Wales. British Monarchy. 13 February 2012.
- "The Prince's Charities". The Prince of Wales. British Monarchy.
- "Mann Deshi Foundation".
- "Our Charities - Mann Deshi School, India". British Asian Trust.
- "The British Asian Trust commits support for education projects in India". The Prince of Wales. British Monarchy.
- "Street League".
- "Our Charities - Street League, UK". British Asian Trust.
- "Our Charities - B’Yeah, Bangladesh". British Asian Trust.
- "DIL - Developments in Literacy".
- "BFSS Chair and Director attend dinner at Windsor Castle hosted by HRH the Prince of Wales to celebrate success of the British Asian Trust and its partners". The British & Foreign School Society. 8 March 2012.
- "Our Charities - Developments in Literacy, Pakistan". British Asian Trust.
- "About Us". Mumbai Mobile Creches.
- "Our Charities - Mumbai Mobile Crèches, India". British Asian Trust.
- Ambassadors British Asian Trust
- Trustees British Asian Trust