British Orthodox Church
The British Orthodox Church is a small Oriental Orthodox jurisdiction, canonically part of the Coptic Patriarchate of Alexandria. Its mission is to the people of the British Isles, and though it is Orthodox in its faith and practice, it remains British in its ethos. It is a missionary community seeking to promote Oriental Orthodox Christianity throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland.
The British Orthodox Church was originally established in 1866 when a Frenchman, Jules Ferrette, was consecrated as a bishop by the Syriac Orthodox Church with the purpose of establishing Oriental Orthodoxy in the West.
Seraphim, Metropolitan of the Holy Metropolis of Glastonbury, and Primate of the British Orthodox Church
Relationship with the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria
Over the years this mission lost touch with its Eastern origins, but in 1994, under the leadership of the present bishop, discussions with the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria bore fruit and the British Orthodox Church was reunited with the Oriental Orthodox Churches from which it had come. At the feast of Pentecost in 1994, at Saint Mark's Cathedral in Cairo, Abba Seraphim was ordained as Metropolitan by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, and the British Orthodox Church became a constituent of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. The current head of the British Orthodox Church is Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury.
The British Orthodox Church today comprises parishes and missions throughout the British Isles. All its services are in English and it venerates the Orthodox saints of the British Isles as well as those of the wider Orthodox Church. It uses the ancient Liturgy of Saint James as its normal liturgy, together with all the traditional services of the Coptic Orthodox Church, such as the morning and evening "Raising of Incense".
Although the British Orthodox Church is a small community at present, it is committed to evangelism and wider ministry. Currently, the British Orthodox Church has 5,000 to 10,000 members who are served by 12 churches.
Through the church press it publishes the Glastonbury Review, the only English language journal committed to regular reporting about the activities of the Oriental Orthodox churches and it has also begun to republish some important theological works. Through the internet, it maintains a number of international and ecumenical email discussion groups, as well as promoting the work of the Joint Commission for the Dialogue between the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches through an important website.
Dialogue between the Oriental Orthodox churches and the Anglican Communion takes place in the Anglican Oriental Orthodox International Commission[dead link].
British Orthodox Church
H.E. Metropolitan Seraphim, Metropolitan of the Holy Metropolis of Glastonbury, and Primate of the British Orthodox Church. The British Orthodox Church came under the jurisdiction of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate in 1994 and its mission is to the British people.
British Orthodox Churches & Missions within the United Kingdom
- Bournemouth: Church of Christ the Saviour - Osborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH9 2JJ
- Chatham: St Alban and St Athanasios' Mission - St Alban’s Church, St Alban’s Walk, Ordnance Street, Chatham, Kent, ME4 6SB
- Doncaster: Church of St Mark & St Hubert - Cusworth Village, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN5 7TR
- Kings Lynn: Church of St. Mary & St. Felix - Babingley, Sandringham Estate, King’s Lynn, Norfolk, PE31 6AW
- London Mission: St. George & Paul the Hermit - SS. George’s in the East, Cannon Street Road, London, E1 0BH
- London: St Thomas the Apostle Orthodox Parish - St Thomas’ Parish Church, Maryon Road, Charlton, London, SE7 8DJ
- Portsmouth: St Mary & St Moses Parish - St Faith’s Church, 82A Craswell Street, Portsmouth, PO1 1HT
More information and service times http://britishorthodox.org/directory/
- Oriental Orthodoxy
- Celtic Orthodox Church
- Coptic Orthodox Church in UK
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Wales
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Australia
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Canada
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Europe
- Coptic Orthodox Church in South America
- French Coptic Orthodox Church
- Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury
- Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria
- Patriarch of Alexandria
- Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch
- Coptic iconography
- Coptic language
- Coptic music
- Coptic abstinence
- British Orthodox Church - Orthodoxy in Britain
- Orthodox Unity - Supporting the Joint Commission
- British Orthodox in Medway, Kent