British Rail Class 207
|British Rail Class 207|
207202 in operation with Southern at Hurst Green in April 2002.
|Number built||19 trainsets|
|Formation||3 cars per trainset|
|Maximum speed||75 mph (121 km/h)|
|Weight||56 long tons (56.9 t; 62.7 short tons)|
|Engine(s)||English Electric 4SRKT Mark II (4-cylinder diesel)|
|Power output||600 shp (450 kW) at 850 rpm|
Operational history 
When new the class were used on the Oxted Line, and were mostly concentrated on services between London Victoria and Tunbridge Wells via Eridge. Other routes that the units operated included occasional workings on the Marshlink Line, the Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells Central Line and the Cuckoo Line. Following the closure of the last two of these routes the unit gained workings on the Redhill to Tonbridge Line, and were known to deputise for 3R units on the North Downs Line to Reading. Most units were withdrawn in 1987 following the electrification of the Oxted Line's East Grinstead branch. Four of the seven surviving units were used on the Reading to Basingstoke Line between 1988 and 1993; once this had finished three were withdrawn and the fourth sent to join the other three survivors on the Marshlink Line; between 1995 and 1998 this included through services from Ashford International to Brighton. After this the class operated on the Marshlink Line between Ashford and Hastings and the Oxted Line between London Victoria and Uckfield for privatised companies Connex South Central and Southern. The final three units were withdrawn in August 2004.
Technical details 
- Power car (one per set)
- Introduced: 1962
- Weight: 56 long tons (57 t; 63 short tons)
- Engine: English Electric 4-cylinder type 4SRKT Mark II of 1,000 bhp (750 kW) at 850 rpm (600 shp/450 kW)
- Transmission: Electric, two English Electric type EE507 traction motors rated at 187 kW (251 hp) each.
- Maximum tractive effort: 12,500 lbf (56,000 N)
- Driving wheel diameter: 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)
- Coupling code: Standard 'Buck eye' compatible with contemporary Class 20x and 4xx units.
- Train heating: Electric
Three complete units have been preserved:
- 207017 - Spa Valley Railway (only original 3-car unit)
- 207202 - East Lancashire Railway
- 207203 - Swindon and Cricklade Railway (as a 2-car unit)
In addition, driving motor vehicle from unit 207013 has also been preserved:
- 207013 - DMBSO 60138 - Walthamstow Pump House Museum
The centre trailer from unit 207203 has been at a private location:
- 207203 - TSOL 70547 - Private site, Charlie Hungerford
Fleet details 
Unrefurbished Class 207/0
|Unit No.||Name||Final livery||DMBSO||TCsoL||DTSO||Withdrawn||Status|
|207002||1302||-||NSE||60127||60601||60901||1992||Converted to 207103|
|207004||1304||-||NSE||60129||60603||60903||07/1991||Converted to 207101|
|207005||1305||-||NSE||60130||60604||60904||07/1991||Converted to 207102|
|207010||1310||-||NSE||60135||60609||60909||09/1993||Tractor unit 951070|
|207011||1311||-||NSE||60136||60610||60910||05/1990||Sandite unit 1068|
|207013||1313||-||NSE||60138||60612||60912||03/1994||Tractor unit 951070|
|207014||1314||-||NSE||60139||60613||60913||05/1990||Sandite unit 1068|
Refurbished Class 207/1
|Unit No.||Name||Final livery||DMBSO||DTSO||Withdrawn||Status|
|207101||207004||Ashford Fayre||NSE||60129||60903||1995||Converted to 207201|
|207102||207005||Brighton Royal Pavilion||NSE||60130||60904||1995||Converted to 207202|
|207103||207002||-||NSE||60127||60901||1995||Converted to 207203|
Refurbished Class 207/2
|Unit No.||Name||Final livery||DMBSO||TSOL||DTSO||Withdrawn||Status|
|207202||207102||Brighton Royal Pavilion||Connex||60130||70549||60904||08/2004||Preserved|
|Unit No.||Final livery||DMB||T||DMB (DT*)||Withdrawn||Status|
|-||1068||NSE||977700 (ex-60139)||977696 (ex-60522)||977701* (ex-60910)||1992||Scrapped|
|951070||1070||NSE||977906 (ex-60135)||-||977907 (ex-60138)||1998||Preserved|
- Welch, Michael (October 2004). Southern DEMUs. Capital Transport. pp. 19–22. ISBN 1-85414-287-9.
- Hampshire & Sussex Units Preservation Society: Sussex Units History
- Class 207 Overview daveh.org.uk
- Withdrawal dates from H. Longworth, British Railways First Generation DMUs, Oxford Publishing Company 2011
- Spa Valley Railway - owners of 3 car 207017
- Hampshire & Sussex Unit Preservation Society (HSUPS) - former owners of preserved TCsoL 60616 from unit 207017.
- Hastings Diesels - previous owners of preserved DMBSO 60138 from unit 207013.
- Preservedthumpers.co.uk - Enthusiast website