British Sports Book Awards
|British Sports Book Awards|
|Awarded for||British sports books|
|Host||National Sporting Club|
The British Sports Book Awards (previously National Sporting Club Book Awards) is a British literary award for sports writing. It was first awarded in 2003 as part of the National Sporting Club. Awards are presented in multiple categories. Each category is judged by one of: sports writers and broadcasters, retailers and enthusiasts. The winners from each category are then opened to public vote through a website to choose an overall winner. The other major sports writing award in Britain is the William Hill Sports Book of the Year.
The award was founded by David H. Willis. The awards original sponsors include Ladbrokes, Virgin Publishing, Butler and Tanner and WH Smith. As of 2012, new sponsors include Sky Sports, The Times, Littlehampton Book Services, Getty Images and the Savoy Hotel.
- 1 Previous winners
- 1.1 Best overall winner
- 1.2 Best Autobiography/Biography
- 1.3 Best Football Book
- 1.4 Best Cricket Book
- 1.5 Best Rugby Book
- 1.6 Best Illustrated Book
- 1.7 Best New Writer
- 1.8 Best Horse Racing Book
- 1.9 Best Golf Book
- 1.10 Best Motorsports Book
- 1.11 Best Publicity Campaign
- 1.12 Sports Book Retailer of the Year
- 1.13 Outstanding Contribution to Sports Writing
- 2 References
- 3 External links
Best overall winner
- 2012 Engage: The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson – Paul Kimmage
- 2013 Bobby's Open: Mr Jones and the Golf Shot that Defined a Legend – Steven Reid (Corinthian)
- 2012 Engage: The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson – Paul Kimmage (Simon & Schuster)
- 2013 Seven Deadly Sins – David Walsh (Simon & Schuster)
- 2014 The Outsider - Jimmy Connors
Best Autobiography (2003–2011)
- 2003 Niall Quinn: The Autobiography – Niall Quinn and Tom Humphries (Headline)
- 2004 Woody and Nord – Gareth Southgate and Andy Woodman (Penguin)
- 2005 Playing with Fire – Nasser Hussain (Michael Joseph)
- 2006 Frank: Fighting Back – Frank Bruno with Kevin Mitchell (Yellow Jersey Press)
- 2007 Back from the Brink – Paul McGrath (Century)
- 2008 My Manchester United Years – Bobby Charlton (Headline)
- 2009 Black and Blue – Paul Canoville (Headline)
- 2010 Open: An Autobiography – Andre Agassi (HarperCollins)
- 2011 Beware of the Dog – Brian Moore (Simon & Schuster)
Best Biography (2003–2011)
- 2003 Jack & Bobby: Story of Brothers in Conflict – Leo McKinstry (Collins Willow)
- 2004 Keeper of Dreams – Ronald Reng (Yellow Jersey Press)
- 2005 Basil D'Oliveira – Peter Oborne (Little Brown)
- 2006 Lance Armstrong: Tour de Force – Daniel Coyle (Collins Willow)
- 2007 The Death of Marco Pantani – Matt Rendell (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- 2008 In Search of Robert Millar – Richard Moore (HarperSport)
- 2009 Regga – Clay Regazzoni – Christopher Hilton (Haynes Publishing)
- 2010 Harold Larwood – Duncan Hamilton (Quercus)
- 2011 Trautmann's Journey – Catrine Clay (Yellow Jersey)
Best Football Book
- 2007 Sir Alf – Leo McKinstry (HarperSport)
- 2008 Provided You Don't Kiss Me – Duncan Hamilton (Fourth Estate)
- 2009 Inverting the Pyramid – Jonathan Wilson (Orion)
- 2010 Cantona – Philippe Auclair (Macmillan)
- 2011 Promised Land – Anthony Clavane (Yellow Jersey)
- 2012 A Life Too Short – Ronald Reng
- 2013 Barca: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World – Graham Hunter (BackPage Press)
- 2014 The Nowhere Men - Michael Calvin
Best Cricket Book
- 2007 Sixty Summers: Cricket Since the War – David Foot and Ivan Ponting (Fairfield Books)
- 2008 More Than a Game: The Story of Cricket’s Early Years – John Major (HarperPress)
- 2009 The Way It Was – Stephen Chalke (Fairfield Books)
- 2010 Golden Boy – Christian Ryan (Orion)
- 2011 Slipless in Settle – Harry Pearson (Little Brown)
- 2012 Fred Trueman – Chris Waters
- 2013 On Warne – Gideon Haigh (Simon & Schuster)
- 2014 The Great Tamasha - James Astill
Best Rugby Book
- 2008 Ripley's World – Andy Ripley (Mainstream Publishing)
- 2009 Seeing Red: Twelve Tumultuous Years in Welsh Rugby – Alun Carter and Nick Bishop (Mainstream Publishing)
- 2010 Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary – John Daniell (Ebury Press)
- 2011 The Grudge – Tom English (Yellow Jersey)
- 2012 Higgy – Alastair Hignell
- 2013 The Final Whistle: The Great War in Fifteen Players – Stephen Cooper (The History Press)
- 2014 City Centre - Simon Halliday
Best Illustrated Book
- 2003 Peter Alliss’ Golf Heroes – Peter Alliss (Virgin Books)
- 2004 Football Days: Classic Photos – Peter Robinson (Mitchell Beazley)
- 2005 The Olympics Athens to Athens: 1896–2004 – M Jacque Rogge (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- 2006 Speed Addicts: Grand Prix Racing – Mark Hughes (Collins Willow)
- 2007 1966 Uncovered: The Unseen Story of the World Cup in England – Peter Robinson and Doug Cheeseman (Mitchell Beazley)
- 2008 Goodbye Gay Meadow – Mathew Ashton (GGM Publishing)
- 2009 In The Frame: Great Racing Photographs – Edward Whitaker (Highdown)
- 2010 Centre Court: The Jewel in Wimbledon’s Crown – John Barrett and Ian Hewitt (Vision Sports Publishing)
- 2011 61 The Spurs Double (Vision Sports Publishing)
- 2012 Wimbledon – Ian Hewitt and Bob Martin
- 2013 21 Days to Glory – Team Sky and Dave Brailsford (HarperCollins)
- 2014 Incredible Waves: An Appreciation of Perfect Surf - Chris Power
Best New Writer
- 2003 Kings of the Mountains: How Colombia's Cycling Heroes Changed Their Nation's History – Matt Rendell (Aurum Press)
- 2004 John Daly: Letting the Big Dog Eat – Gavin Newsham (Virgin Books)
- 2005 Feet in the Clouds – Richard Askwith (Aurum Press)
- 2006 My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes – Gary Imlach (Yellow Jersey Press)
- 2007 The Hour: Sporting Immortality the Hard Way – Michael Hutchinson (Yellow Jersey Press)
- 2008 The Pyjama Game: A Journey into Judo – Mark Law (Aurum Press)
- 2009 When Friday Comes – James Montague (Mainstream Publishing)
- 2010 Eclipse – Nicholas Clee (Bantam Press)
- 2011 Bounce – Matthew Syed (Fourth Estate)
- 2012 The Ghost Runner – Bill Jones
- 2013 Running with the Kenyans: Discovering the secrets of the fastest people on earth – Adharanand Finn (Faber and Faber)
- 2014 Land of Second Chances - Tim Lewis
Best Horse Racing Book
- 2011 The Story of Your Life – James Lambie (Matador)
- 2012 Beyond the Frame – Edward Whitaker
- 2013 Her Majesty's Pleasure – Julian Muscat (Racing Post Books)
- 2014 Henry Cecil: Trainer of Genius - Brough Scott
Best Golf Book
- 2012 The 100 Greatest Ever Golfers – Andy Farrell
- 2013 Bobby's Open: Mr Jones and the Golf Shot that Defined a Legend – Steven Reid (Icon Books)
Best Motorsports Book
Best Publicity Campaign
- 2010 The Man Who Cycled the World – Campaign by Madeline Toy (Random House)
- 2011 It's All About the Bike – Campaign by Mari Yamazaki (Particular Books)
- 2012 Run! – Campaign by Clare Drysdale (Allen & Unwin)
- 2013 Be Careful What You Wish For – Campaign by Bethan Jones (Yellow Jersey Press)
- 2014 Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography - Campaign by Karen Geary and Rebecca Mundy (Hodder)
Sports Book Retailer of the Year
Outstanding Contribution to Sports Writing
- 2012 Nick Hornby
- 2013 Christopher Martin-Jenkins
- 2014 Harriet Tuckey for Everest: The First Ascent
- Katie Allen (17 February 2011). "British Sports Book Awards adds new category". The Bookseller. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Staff writer (23 May 2012). "Matt's book given 'awards' top gong'". This is Leicestershire (Nottingham Post). Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Winners of the 2013 British Sports Book Awards".
- "British Sports Book Awards 2014". British Sports Book Awards. 21 May 2014. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Sue Mott (1 April 2006). "Bruno boxing clever". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Simon Briggs (12 March 2010). "Andre Agassi's 'Open' wins at the British Sports Book Awards. Pity about the gloopy speech". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Simon Briggs (10 May 2011). "British Sports Book Awards: Telegraph Sport columnist Brian Moore wins best autobiography". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Simon Briggs (12 March 2010). "'Harold Larwood' wins Best Biography at British Sports Book Awards". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Jessica Elgot (10 May 2011). "Jewish football book wins sport award". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Glenn Moore (22 May 2012). "Moving biography of keeper Robert Enke raises the bar at the British Sports Book Awards". The Independent. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Staff writer (23 May 2012). "Standard's rugby columnist Hignell is honoured". Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Staff writer (18 April 2012). "Stoke Park to Sponsor Inaugural Golf Book of the Year at British Sports Book Awards". Scottish Golf News. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Charlotte Williams (22 May 2012). "Kimmage wins 2012 British Sports Book title". The Bookseller. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- Staff writer (May 2012). "British Sports Book Awards to honour Hornby". Arsenal. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- British Sports Book Awards, official website.