Britské listy (English: British letters) is a Czech-language cultural and political internet daily. It is published by a reader-financed NGO Britske Listy o.s. (Czech: Občanské sdružení Britské listy, OSBL) based in Prague.
The motto "Daily about everything the Czech Republic doesn't talk about" (Czech: deník o všem, o čem se v České republice příliš nemluví) reflects a declared long-term objective to publish articles on topics that mainstream media in the Czech Republic ignore or under-report. Editorial changes are (officially) kept to a minimum with the main editors preferring to add comments to articles rather than replacing content. Most of the contributors are left-of-center, but the daily does not refrain from publishing articles from most edges of the spectrum including conspiracy theories which would not pass the usual journalistic verification.
Authors, readers and topics
Topics include local (Czech) and international politics, culture and news. Poll of the readership conducted in 2007 showed readership with a disproportionately high representation of urban men with higher education and high income.
Most contributors live in the Czech Republic, Slovakia or are a part of Czech diaspora. Most articles are published in Czech, occasionally in Slovak, in rare cases in English as well. Many articles are written by the editors as translations from English, German or other foreign language. Articles from UK dailies, especially The Guardian, are common.
Important topics coverage
- "Ten Years of Britské listy". blisty.cz. 2006-07-28. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Deník vzdělaného a bohatého bolševika". blisty.cz. 2007-07-28. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "2007 reader poll results". blisty.cz. 2007-07-28. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Blisty article listing: NMD base in the Czech Republic". ISSN 1213-1792. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- Staff Writers (2006-07-12). "US Missile Defence Experts To Inspect Czech Sites For Base". SpaceDaily.AFP. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- www.blisty.cz, official website (ISSN 1213-1792) (Czech)
- www.czechfocus.cz, Focus on the Czech Republic, an English-language project of Britské listy
- Biography of the founder in Czech
- Biography of the founder in English
- automatically generated list of the most widely read articles