|Britten-Norman Defender AL.2 of the British Army Air Corps|
|Role||Transport, patrol, reconnaissance|
|National origin||United Kingdom|
|First flight||May 1970|
|Developed from||Britten-Norman Islander|
The Britten-Norman Defender is a multi-role utility transport aircraft, manufactured by Britten-Norman of the United Kingdom. It is the military version of the Britten-Norman Islander, developed for roles such as utility transport, casualty evacuation, counter-insurgency and light attack, forward air control, patrol and reconnaissance.
First flown in May 1970, the Defender was based on the civilian Islander, and has a larger airframe with four underwing hardpoints for pylons to attach 2,500 pounds (1,100 kg) of fuel tanks, bombs, missiles, 7.62-mm (0.3-inch) machine-gun pods, rocket pods, flares, sensors and other stores.
The BN-2B (piston version) and BN-2T (turbine version) are used in military, coastguard, and police operations in several countries.
The BN-2T-4S Defender 4000 is an enhanced version of the BN-2T Defender intended for the aerial surveillance role. Compared to earlier Defenders, it has a stretched fuselage, the enlarged wing from the Trislander, a new nose structure capable of accommodating a FLIR turret or radar, and an increased payload. The prototype Defender 4000 first flew in 1994.
In 1996, the Royal Cambodian Air Force deployed its three BN-2 Defenders in support of the dry season offensive against Khmer Rouge insurgents. The Defenders were armed with machine guns and rockets, and even dropped mortar rounds. One Defender was lost during the operation.
In 2003 the British Army bought four Defender 4000 aircraft, known in service as the Defender AL1, fitted with under-wing defensive aids dispensers and an electro-optical turret under the nose. Since then, one other has been converted to Defender AL2 specification and three more Defender AL2s and one Defender T3 trainer have been ordered.
- Multi-role utility transport aircraft.
- Maritime Defender
- Armed maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft.
- Defender 4000
- Enhanced Defender for the urban surveillance, counter-terrorism and maritime surveillance roles.
- AEW Defender
- Airborne Early Warning aircraft
- British Army – Army Air Corps
- Greater Manchester Police
- Police Service of Northern Ireland
- Garda Air Support Unit
- Belize Defence Force Air Wing 3 x BN-2B
- National Coast Guard of Mauritius 1 x BN-2T
- United States
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Philippine Navy 6 x Bn-2 
From Britten-Norman Brochure
- Overall Length: 40 ft 4 in (12.2 m)
- Wingspan: 53 ft 0 in (16.2 m)
- Height: 14 ft 3 in (4.4 m)
- Empty Weight: 5,000 lb (2,300 kg)
- Maximum Takeoff & Landing Weight: 8,500 lb (3,900 kg)
- Powerplant: 2x Rolls-Royce Allison 250-B17F turboprops
- Takeoff Distance (Rolling): 1,167 ft (356 m)
- Landing Distance (Rolling): 1,012 ft (308 m)
- Rate Of Climb: 1,250 ft/min (6.35 m/s)
- Absolute Ceiling: 25,500 ft (7,800 m)
- Maximum Cruise Speed: 203 mph (176 knots, 326 km/h)
- Economical Cruise Speed: 173mph (150 knots, 278 km/h)
- Range (Instrument FR): 991 miles (861 nm, 1595 km)
- Range (Visual FR): 1158 miles (1006 nm, 1863 km)
- Payload (With Maximum Fuel): 1,598 lb (725 kg)
- Related development
- "BN2T-4S – Defender 4000 Surveillance Aircraft". www.britten-norman.com. B-N Group Limited. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Britten-Norman Milestones". www.britten-norman.com. B-N Group Limited. Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- FBI brings out secret electronics weapons as Waco siege drags on, by James Adams. The Sunday Times, p. 23, 21 March 1993
- Grandolini, Albert. "Cambodia, 1954 – 1999; Part 3". ACIG.org. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Britten Norman Islander / Defender, www.spyflight.co.uk
- "PH planes ships still have no sighting of missing malaysian jet". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 9 March 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "National Coast Guard". Gov.mu. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "World Air Forces 2014" (PDF). Flightglobal Insight. 2014. p. 23. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Britten-norman.com – brochures – Defender
- Fightglobal, 1990
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Britten-Norman Defender.|