Broad Haven (Welsh translation: Aber Llydan) is a village in the south east corner of St Bride's Bay at the terminus of the B4341 in south Pembrokeshire, Wales. Broad Haven is part of the Havens division of Pembrokeshire County Council. The 2001 census records a population of 1,328 for the Havens. The only church in Broad Haven is the Baptist church, although there are Anglican churches in nearby Little Haven.
It is a seaside resort with a large west-facing Blue Flag beach offering safe bathing for families and good surfing, windsurfing and sailing opportunities. The north end of Broad Haven beach has a number of interesting geological features including folding, stacks and natural arches. Broad Haven is not to be confused with the beach near Bosherston in south Pembrokeshire with the same name.
Little is known of the origins of the village but it has been known as a seaside resort since the 1800s. A RNLI lifeboat was stationed at Little Haven from 1882 to 1921. In 1967 the station was reopened with an inshore lifeboat and the station name changed to Little & Broad Haven.
Broad Haven Triangle
In the 1970s, the area was the scene of alleged UFO sightings and nicknamed the Broad Haven Triangle in the manner of the Bermuda Triangle, from a headline in the Sun that said Spaceman Mystery of the Terror Triangle.
- On 4 February 1977, a yellow cigar-shaped craft is believed to have landed in a field next to Broadhaven Primary School. A group of 14 children playing football saw the craft and a silver creature. The headmaster, Ralph Llewellyn, asked the children to draw the craft and he was surprised how similar the drawings were.
- On 17 February 1977, the same craft was claimed to have been seen by some teachers at the school and by some dinner ladies, one of whom saw a creature make its way onto the craft.
- The owner of the Haven Fort Hotel in Little Haven claims to have seen an 'upside-down saucer' on 19 April 1977 in a neighbouring field with two humanoid creatures.
- Billy and Pauline Coombs at Ripperston Farm saw a 7 ft creature in a silver suit on 23 April 1977 late at night.
Broad Haven was host to the Pembrokeshire Coast Triathlon from 1994-96 during which time the event doubled as either the Welsh Championships (1994) or a British Grand Prix event (1995 and 1996).
- http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2006/Wales/Wales/Broadhaven%20North Blue Flag
- http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/west/stations/LittleandBroadHavenPembrokeshire/history RNLI
- "Archive: Dyfed Triangle UFO sighting from 1970s". BBC News. 12 July 2012.
- Bourton, Tom (5 July 2007). "New details on UFO case revealed". BBC News. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Broad Haven, Pembrokeshire and surrounding area
- Broad Haven Baptist Church
- Broad Haven Triangle
- Mysterious Britain
- Welsh Triangle
- The Dyfed UFO Mystery
- Visitors from Space