Broad Peak from Concordia
|Elevation||8,051 m (26,414 ft)
|Prominence||1,701 m (5,581 ft)|
Xinjiang Uygur, China
|First ascent||June 9, 1957 by an Austrian team|
|Easiest route||snow/ice climb|
Broad Peak (Urdu: بروڈ پیک; Chinese: 布洛阿特峰; pinyin: Bùluòātè Fēng), also known as K3, is the 12th highest mountain on Earth, with an elevation of 8,051 metres (26,414 ft). The literal translation of "Broad Peak" to Falchan Kangri (ཨིྰན་ཨངརི་) is not accepted among the Balti people.
Broad Peak is part of the Gasherbrum massif in Baltistan on the border of Pakistan and China. It is located in the Karakoram mountain range about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from K2. It has a summit over 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) long, thus "Broad Peak".
The first ascent of Broad Peak was made on June 9, 1957 by Fritz Wintersteller, Marcus Schmuck, Kurt Diemberger, and Hermann Buhl of an Austrian expedition led by Marcus Schmuck. A first attempt by the team was made on May 29 where Fritz Wintersteller and Kurt Diemberger reached the forepeak (8,030 m). This was also accomplished without the aid of supplemental oxygen, high altitude porters nor base camp support.
In summer 2012, five members of "Koroška 8000" - Slovenian team (led by Gregor Lačen) summitted the mountain (without supplementary oxygen and without high altitude porters). They tracked the way in deep snow from camp 4 to the summit and opened the summit to 7 more individuals from other expeditions. They all summitted on July 31, 2012.
On March 5, 2013 Maciej Berbeka, Adam Bielecki, Tomasz Kowalski and Artur Małek made the first winter ascent. Broad Peak was 12th Eight-thousander summited in winter time and 10th Eight-thousander first summitted in winter by Polish climbers. During the descent, Maciej Berbeka and Tomasz Kowalski did not reach Camp 4 (at 7400 m) and were pronounced missing. On March 7, the head of the expedition Krzysztof Wielicki said there are "no chances at all" of finding alive 58-year-old Maciej Berbeka and 27-year-old Tomasz Kowalski. On March 8 both climbers were declared dead and the expedition was ended.
In July 2013, a group of five Iranian climbers attempted to ascend through a new route from the southwestern face. Three of them Aidin Bozorgi, Pouya Keivan, and Mojtaba Jarahi, ascended successfully but during descent all three of them were lost and declared dead.
- 1954 First attempt by Dr. Karl Herligkoffer of Germany on the SW side that failed due to a storm and extreme cold.
- 1957 First ascent  by Austrian expedition
- 1983 First ascent by woman, Krystyna Palmowska
- 1984 First one-day ascent of an 8000-meter peak (solo) by Krzysztof Wielicki in 21,5 h
- 1994 On July 9, Carlos Carsolio reached the summit, establishing a new solo route now known as Route Carsolio
- 2013 On March 5, first winter ascent by Polish expedition.
- 2013 July, Aidin Bozorgi, Pouya Keivan, and Mojtaba Jarahi of Iran ascended through a new route, named Route Iran.
- List of mountains in Pakistan
- Highest Mountains of the World
- List of Austrian mountaineers
- Hassan sadpara
- "Broad Peak". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Broad Peak: 12th Highest Mountain in the World". About.com.
- "Broad Peak: Some background and History". Everest News. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Broad Peak". Peakware World Mountain Encyclopedia. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- „Broad Peak 2007“ Expedition in memoriam Markus Kronthaler, June to August 2007 (German)
- "Highest-Altitude Body Recovery in History". Alpinist. 25 July 2007. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Broad Peak update: Cristina Castagna lost on descent from C4 - no summits confirmed yet". Explorer's Web. Retrieved 2014-01-26. (subscription required (. ))
- "Polish mountaineers make first winter ascent of Broad Peak". thenews.pl. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Head of expedition says no chance of finding alive 2 Polish climbers missing in Himalayas". Associated Press. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Broad Peak: all hope lost for Maciej Berbeka and Tomasz Kowalski". Planetmountain. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Iranian Broad Peak New Route: Complications on Descent". Explorer's Web. Retrieved 2014-01-26. (subscription required (. ))
- Rescue attempts for Iranian climbers http://altitudepakistan.blogspot.com/2013/07/broad-peak-new-route-iranian-climbers.html#u3
- "First ascent". broadpeak.org. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Broad Peak first winter ascent by Polish expedition!". planetmountain.com. May 3, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Richard Sale, Broad Peak, 2004. English published by Carreg Ltd in the UK. ISBN 0-9538631-1-5
- Marcus Schmuck, Broad Peak 8047m Meine Bergfahrten mit Hermann Buhl, 1958. German published by Verlag "Das Bergland-buch" in Salzburg/Stuttgart.
- Kurt Diemberger, Spirits of the Air, 1994. Mountaineers Books, ISBN 0-89886-408-9
- Hermann Buhl, Achttausand: Druber und Drunter, 1955, Munchen. Afterward by Kurt Diemberger describes the Broad Peak expedition.
- Zvezdnate noči (Starry Nights) by Dušan Jelinčič, ISBN / EAN: 961-6387-75-8
- Anna Czerwińska Broad Peak'83 tylko dwie (Broad Peak'83 only two) "Sport i Turystyka", Warszawa 1989, ISBN 83-217-2658-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Broad Peak.|
- Broad Peak on Himalaya-Info.org (German)
- Broad Peak on Summitpost
- First Ascent: The official Website of the Austrian OEAV Karakoram expedition 1957 on BroadPeak.org
- Commemorative postage stamp