Critics' Choice Movie Award
|Critics' Choice Movie Awards|
|18th Critics' Choice Awards|
|Awarded for||The finest in cinematic achievements|
|Presented by||Broadcast Film Critics Association|
The Critics' Choice Movie Awards (formerly known as the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award) are bestowed annually by the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) to honor the finest in cinematic achievement. Written ballots are submitted during a week-long nominating period, and the resulting nominees are announced in December. The winners chosen by subsequent voting are revealed at the annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards ceremony in January. Additional, special awards are given out at the discretion of the BFCA Board of Directors.
The awards were originally named simply Critics' Choice Awards. In 2010, the word Movie was added to their name, to differentiate them from the Critics' Choice Television Award, which were first bestowed the following year by the newly created Broadcast Television Critics Association. The name Critics' Choice Awards now officially refers to both sets of awards collectively.
From 2006 through 2009, the awards ceremony was held in the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. From 2010 through 2012, it took place in the refurbished, historic Hollywood Palladium. The live television broadcast of the event moved from VH1 to The CW in 2013, with the 19th ceremony airing on January 16, 2014.
The Broadcast Film Critics Association prides itself on its ability to anticipate Academy Award nominations: between 1997 and 2004, the Critics' Choice nominations predicted all but two of the 35 Academy Award nominations for Best Picture. By comparison, the Golden Globe Awards were three times more likely to differ during the same period.
List of awards
- Best Action Film (since 2009)
- Best Acting Ensemble (since 2002)
- Best Actor (since 1995)
- Best Actress (since 1995)
- Best Animated Feature (since 1998)
- Best Art Direction (since 2009)
- Best Cinematography (since 2009)
- Best Comedy Film (since 2005)
- Best Composer (Score) (since 1998)
- Best Costume Design (since 2009)
- Best Director (since 1995)
- Best Documentary Film (since 1995)
- Best Editing (since 2009)
- Best Family Film (1997–2007)
- Best Foreign Language Film (since 1995)
- Best Makeup (since 2009)
- Best Film (since 1995)
- Best Screenplay (Adapted and Original) (since 2002)
- Best Song (since 1998)
- Best Sound (since 2009)
- Best Supporting Actor (since 1995)
- Best Supporting Actress (since 1995)
- Best Visual Effects (since 2009)
- Best Young Performer (since 1995)
Note: A ceremony is generally referred to by the year of release of the films that it honored, rather than the year in which it was held.
- "Critics' Choice Awards | Home". Critics' Choice Awards. The Broadcast Film Critics Association. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Weisman, Jon (22 October 2012). "CW grabs Critics' Choice Movie Awards". Variety. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (September 16, 2013). "The CW to Broadcast the 'Critics Choice Movie Awards' & 'Critics Choice Television Awards' in 2014". Zap2it. The CW press release. Retrieved September 16, 2013.